Ruptured Belly orphan update..update

Help Support CattleToday:

bward

Reaction score
Well it took two times in the squeeze and the heifer has claimed him as her own. Last evening we did the chute thing tying up a leg and getting the calf up there to nurse. She thrashed around again kicking as usual then finally settled down and stood calmly while he nursed. I left them in the pen together and watched a bit to make sure she wasn't going to kill him. She just walked the pen fence and looked for a way out ignoring the calf. About 8 last night it started to snow quite heavily so I thought I should go get him and put him in the barn. I got the sled, went in the pen and dragged him in the sled, opened the gate and low and behold the heifer talked to him. wha? ......... must be my imagination... so I left the pen, sled in hand, and the heifer came right up to the gate mooing at him and he squawked back. What the? alright then.
So I put him back in the pen and they seemed happy to be reunited.

This morning I noticed he was covered with lick marks. He has a mom and I am so happy. Sometimes things go right after all.

Thank you everyone for all the tips and kind words. I hope you enjoyed my story and I hope I never have the chance to write another one like that again.

DSC02085.jpg

When the world hands us lemons, make lemonade.

I appreciate your story. Lets us all realize that we are not the only ones who sometimes struggle, but perseverance will overcome adversity.

Good job.

You are awesome! Such fortitude and perserverence (is that a word?) anyway you rock! Hope your bad streak is done and over with! Hope your hubby gets to feeling better too.
Glad the little guy has a mom, good job.

edit: Hey bandit were were on the same wave, but you spelled it right!

congrats on getting the heifer to take the calf.that just saves you from having to bottle feed the calf.

Latest posts