Runny

Help Support CattleToday:

herefordgurl

Reaction score
One of my steers as exceptionally runny diarehha, I don't know if that's spelled right or not. At first I though it was because he had been in the grassy feild for a while but after we put him back in the other feild he was still runny long after it should of dried up. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything I could feed him to get rid of the diarehha.

thanks a bunch

-herefordgurl.

It all depends on how long he's been on pasture. If he has recently been turned out on pasture he may be a little loose for a few days. Thats not really a problem. If he's been out and goes on a different lot with different grasses, say lots of clover, he may be loose for a few days. You can give him dry hay and it will tighten him up. If he's eating good and seems to feel good he is probably OK.

If you can get him in a shute, drop a couple sulfur boles down him, if you can't do that, then tease him in with feed. Take a hammer and mash the sulfur Boles up and mix them in the feed. Just don't give him too much grain cause that won't help the scours either. Make sure the steer has plenty of mineral available too. All the purging will take it out of his system in a hurry! Might be a good idea to pen him and just put him back on good clean hay only for a couple of days.

What size steers? Steers that are eating just pasture (not nursing) are going to be loose if the pasture is good quality.

These steers are about 700lbs each, their yearlings. I had them to an ox pull this weekend and he did harden up for the first day but then the second day hewas runny again.

I'd keep him on constant feed for a few days...you changed his water and feed at the pull...right?
If it isn't pure liquid running through him I'd feed him the dry hay and see how he does....

I think I will just feed him hay and feed for a while, if he doesn't harden up again real soon then I'm going to ask the vet when he stops by.

Thanks for all of the advice, you've all been a real help.

The vet was up and you guys were right, it was only because we didn't leave him in the pasture for a long enough time, he runs back and forth between both pastures everyday now and is pretty soft but will harden up soon.

thanks for the advice.