Runny Eyes

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I sold a Simbrah heifer to a young man for a show heifer, and ever since she's was little (she's 550 lbs. now) her eyes have been runny. She's a white face, and doesn't have a lot of eye pigment. I assumed the flies, sunlight, wind or whatever in pasture was irritating them, but she's in a covered shed with fans and misters now.

Anyone have any ideas?

TheBullLady":2jfssw0d said:
I sold a Simbrah heifer to a young man for a show heifer, and ever since she's was little (she's 550 lbs. now) her eyes have been runny. She's a white face, and doesn't have a lot of eye pigment. I assumed the flies, sunlight, wind or whatever in pasture was irritating them, but she's in a covered shed with fans and misters now.

Anyone have any ideas?

Swap the hfr with one of approximately same age and equal or better quality, or pick up hfr and refund the young mans money.

Why didn't she get pigment from the Brahman side?

But I have noticed that on some Brahmans their eyes will run because of the shape (inside corner tilted down). Is it thick and crusty or just liquid?They grow out of it as far as I know.

If the young man was aware of the runny eyes when he bought her I don't see why you would need to replace the calf. Did he select her himself?

Cherokee..she's a 3/4 x 1/4, so she didn't get the wonderful Brahman pigment. And yes.. the young man along with his ag teacher chose the heifer.

He doesn't want a refund or a replacement, she's an awesome heifer, I was just curious if anyone knew what it might be.

Could be a blocked tear duct. In humans, this and sagging lower lids are the most commom cause of excessive tearing. You might try using some lubricating eye drops (Lacrilube) and gently massaging the lower lid where it meets the nose a couple times a day. This may help clear any mechanical obstructuion of the duct.
Good Luck!

Latest posts