Runny Eyes?

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
I have noticed that one of my cows has had runny eyes a couple of days over the last week. The first time that I noticed it was last Tues. and both eyes looked a little runny, then for the next couple of days, neither eye was runny. Now, only the right eye appears to be runny and I believe that it may have a small blue spot in it. I haven't noticed the spot before so I don't know for sure if it has been there all along or not. Should I treat her with something now or just wait and see if the running becomes worse? What does this sound like? Thanks,

Zach

It sounds suspiciously like pink-eye. I'm not up to date on the best treatment, but if you do a search for it on the boards I'm sure you will find a lot of good information.

This is what I do. .5 cc of Baytril and .25 cc of Dexamethasone(sp). Using a diabetic syringe(25 ga. X .75") needle give the shot in the third eyelid. I use a topical Genesin(sp) spray in the eye it self. Never used patches but have heard they work well. have also heard of Biosol sprayed in the eye. The Baytril can be subed with Exenel. Do not let it get worse.

Scotty

Sounds like pinkeye for sure.

You can hit her with LA 200, wait 48 hrs and hit her with it again. 4.5 cc per 100 wt. You can supplement the LA with a puffer directly in her eye..

1848":3jns1vcn said:
Sounds like pinkeye for sure.

You can hit her with LA 200, wait 48 hrs and hit her with it again. 4.5 cc per 100 wt. You can supplement the LA with a puffer directly in her eye..

I have tried this with great succes befor. The only reason I don't any more is it takes to much med. and the reaction of the tissue. I don't like looking at not under the skin.

Scotty

Your right Scotty..I don't like dumping 60 cc's either, but it can be easier then the other to administer..especially for the novice, and I can live with the knots compared with the consequences :)

1848":2tx1yzxh said:
Your right Scotty..I don't like dumping 60 cc's either, but it can be easier then the other to administer..especially for the novice, and I can live with the knots compared with the consequences :)

Got that right. Nose tongs and steady hands required.

Scotty

LA 200 will fix you up if it's pinkeye. It's been so windy here that a few of mine are weeping a little. I'm sure it's the wind though.

Typically, pink eye will cause them to keep the eye either shut completely or at a minimum squinted. It's particualrly noticable in the sun or bright light. If the eyes weep a bit then stop for a while then start again, it's probably not pinkeye, nore likely irritation either from dust, chaf from hay, cold/wind etc. The hard part is figuring out which it is, minor irritation or pinkeye, or even IBR.

dun