Running eyes / Hair coming off

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
What is the main cause of watery eyes on cows / calves? I have three that have at least one eye that waters and runs all of the time. They appear very healthy, good appetites, sound breathing and the calves are even very spry. Is this possibly a grass allergy? The pasture is in good shape and not tall or overgrown.

I also have a 1 month old Jersey bull calf that has spots where his hair is rubbing off or falling out. Behind his ears, under his tail, on his tail, on his rear hocks and even a small spot on his neck. The skin appears red like it has been rubbed off. It resembles the mange on a dog in a way. It doesn't seem to bother him as he does not lick or paw at the spots. His hair is getting really slick and smooth and it appears very clean and healthy with the exception of some light shedding which may be normal this time of year. Any ideas on what he has and any remedies?

I have learned allot from this forum and I am thankfull for all of the info that you guys have passed along.

pinkeye. could be lice or mange or just shedding. could put some used motor oil on skin. pinkeye can be treated with la200 or pinkeye med you spray in eye

Hoss, as for the hair loss do your self a favor and just don't worrie about it. It will come back. I've had three to do that and nobody knows what it is. The vets don't know either. I'd like to have some of the Jersey calves though. I can't keep enough of them. LA 200 will take care of the runny eye problem. Administer until the problem is gone completely. Usually 3 shots.

Jerseys are famous for watery or runny eyes. I would keep an eye on him to make sure the eyes don't dry up on their own. Keep the flies under contol it may not be pinkeye.

Latest posts