running electric wire past a gate

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
got several gate i need to cross with electric fencing, i would prefer to go underground at the gates, is there a cheaper wire to use than the lead out cables i am seeing for $17 for 50ft at tsc? or that the best option there is?

Make sure you run it through some conduit. That's the best wire for the job, but it will fail in time. Way easier to snake new, than dig.

Yep, bite the $$ bullet and use the good wire.
You spend good money for a quality energizer...poorly insulated lead-in/out cable will negate what the fence puts out
Most anything else (600v rated) will leak voltage off, even if in conduit. (I don't know how or why, but over time, most conduit ends up with water inside it no matter how well it's glued at the joints.)

greybeard":wod5zowo said:
You spend good money for a quality energizer...poorly insulated lead-in/out cable will negate what the fence puts out
Most anything else (600v rated) will leak voltage off, even if in conduit. (I don't know how or why, but over time, most conduit ends up with water inside it no matter how well it's glued at the joints.)
I was told conduit or pvc will sweat and fill w water. So I just 90'ed over so rain wouldn't get in and didn't seal it. I do wish I had bought 45's instead after trying to snake that insulated wire through.

I have one with just an old heavy duty extension cord buried, one 14 ga electric fence wire through black plastic & one with 14 ga electric through pvc. all work fine

Another option is to stand up some PVC pipe on both sides wire or zip tie it to a post (20' 1 1/2" PVC water service cut to desired length works perfect), saw a groove in the top and jump the wire up and over the gate making sure its high enough for proper clearance. Unless of course its somewhere your worried about looks. :2cents: B&G

Black and Good":2g116lg8 said:
Another option is to stand up some PVC pipe on both sides wire or zip tie it to a post (20' 1 1/2" PVC water service cut to desired length works perfect), saw a groove in the top and jump the wire up and over the gate making sure its high enough for proper clearance. Unless of course its somewhere your worried about looks. :2cents: B&G
Every gap on this place was done this way at one time we used 16' oak rough cut 2x6 and a China tied to top to run wire thru

SteppedInIt":gd827196 said:
greybeard":gd827196 said:
I was told conduit or pvc will sweat and fill w water. So I just 90'ed over so rain wouldn't get in and didn't seal it. I do wish I had bought 45's instead after trying to snake that insulated wire through.

I did the same thing only with 3/4 water line. Made an upside down "J" when I came back above grade and zip tied to post. Works great.

We have one gate spot that is glade rock so there is no digging. I ran the double insulated heavy gauge stuff through a piece of 1 inch polypipe and stuck that through a piece of 2 1/2 inch polypipe. It;s been being run over with trucks/trailers, fertilizer/lime trucks, tractors, balers, etc for 12 years and still works as good as it did the day I put it in.

I just use spring gates. I figure I have to get out of the tractor or truck to open the gate anyway.

I also use the overheads....
easier to troubleshoot
easier to repair.
less total maintenance
I have one that is fifteen feet tall over my driveway...
been up ten years or more and I have never touched it....

FiveOaksFarmGA":10pl4xag said:
I just use spring gates. I figure I have to get out of the tractor or truck to open the gate anyway.

I think what we are talking about are gates that are normally open or gaps to where we are heading somewhere else to make the fence hot. I have a lot of gates that are closed only when I'm caughting cows. B&G

I'm just leaving this here, if somebody comes along that needs to know. It will save them a bunch of work. I have buried some pretty heavy duty direct bury wire, that couldn't stand up to what an electric fence puts out. Redid it a few times, before I found out from people here, that it wouldn't work. Gotta use the good stuff for electric fences. the more you spend on it, the better.

Latest posts