Running Electric Across Deep Ravine????

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
You will have to click on the pictures. Ran high tensile elecric to cross a deep ravine. Had 2 6 ft T post slammed deep to hold it. First big rain it washed them out. 2nd T post is in the creek. The wire naturally is 6 foot across. It is touching the top of the post in the picture. Thinking about puttung 2 T post facing down on each side of the ravine to hold it. Would this work or does anyone have any other ideas. Money is tight.

I would run the wire at the upper ground level and just put a blow out type water gap in the ravine. You know it's gonna blow out every decent rain, why fight it

dun":lkpqgxdk said:
I would run the wire at the upper ground level and just put a blow out type water gap in the ravine. You know it's gonna blow out every decent rain, why fight it
What do you mean? Like a
swinging gate that will swing out every time it rains? With a weaker latch so it doesn't bust the gate? Or cattle panel or something like that? I could comnect is somewhat to that tree, Would have to call the cows in during heavy raining. That ravine almkost runs like a river when I get any substantial rain.

Look at Fenceman's fence thread. He has some pictures of a water gap-maybe more than one. Most of them end up being sacrificial at some point, but they'll hold for most rains.

Found an old thread, no one is a member anymore but it talks about an electrified water gap using hanging metal rods from a high tensile wire strung above the ravine or water. Says they just swing when debris come through. Anyone ever done this before?

I have done similar to that on one small wash I have. It's about three feet across and about four feet below my hot wire that runs across it. I just straightened a wire section or two with about a three inch 90* bend on the end, put a crimp there and on the main line to hold position, and left the end of vertical wire about a foot above the flowline. No bigger than this wash is, it works fine.

I've also used something similar on a large ditch my fence line crosses. I put drops from the HT hot line with large (approx 1" ID) flat washers for weights. These stay hot and turn the calves but trash won't hang up on them during high water.

jedstivers":25szjlhi said:
You don't need to electrify the part that's blocking. Keep the hot wire above and out of the water. Make the water gap so it swings.
Not really too much to attach it to on the other side. The ground is pretty sandy in the wash out. Was either thinking possibly running hot wire hanging down 20 inches above the ground with lead fishing weights that crimp on to hold them down. Those would come off easily if debris caught them. Or just put a flimsy cattle panel chained to the tree secured to the other side by t post made to break away. Cut it out about 2 foot from the ground to allow small debris. But to be honest this ravine is the drain for about 40 acres and some of the county road. Gets logs floating down it sometimes.

BK9954":3fkmzfjx said:
jedstivers":3fkmzfjx said:
You don't need to electrify the part that's blocking. Keep the hot wire above and out of the water. Make the water gap so it swings.
Not really too much to attach it to on the other side. The ground is pretty sandy in the wash out. Was either thinking possibly running hot wire hanging down 20 inches above the ground with lead fishing weights that crimp on to hold them down. Those would come off easily if debris caught them. Or just put a flimsy cattle panel chained to the tree secured to the other side by t post made to break away. Cut it out about 2 foot from the ground to allow small debris. But to be honest this ravine is the drain for about 40 acres and some of the county road. Gets logs floating down it sometimes.
You'll have to put in a post and brace post. Maybe more than two. Keep bracing till you got it.

Here is what I tried this summer and it is working good. This is crossing a shallow river about 300 yards bank to bank.

I already had a support wire over head {two strands of barbed wire} with wires hanging down to support a electric fence tape. this has lots of drop in so it is strong enough. Been up over 20 years. one end is on a pole, other end is hooked to a post about 50 ft above the river. I previously used electric fence tape supported from this wire. It was often taken out.

This year I strung another barbed wire insulated at both ends and from the support wires. this was just low enough that I could still reach it from standing in the river. From this wire, I tied on pieces of electric fence tape that hang down to about 18 inches above water. the barbs keep these pieces of electric fence tape from sliding on the wire. These are placed about every 10 inches. from a distance, it looks like a wall. when the wind blows, the ends do get high enough that cows could walk under, but they see the tape fluttering in the wind and they already have a healthy education of what that stuff is. they so far have not got through it.
It stayed in all summer, haven't went to look at it, hope I didn't have the tape to close to the water that the ice built up and froze it in. I will be doing 2 more of these next summer.
To support the end of the insulated barbed wire that ends up in the side of a hill, I screwed in one of those screw anchors sold for fence corners.
This is hooked to a 6 joule fencer, so cows have a healthy respect for it.

sandhiller":yudbo0ua said:
Here is what I tried this summer and it is working good. This is crossing a shallow river about 300 yards bank to bank.

I already had a support wire over head {two strands of barbed wire} with wires hanging down to support a electric fence tape. this has lots of drop in so it is strong enough. Been up over 20 years. one end is on a pole, other end is hooked to a post about 50 ft above the river. I previously used electric fence tape supported from this wire. It was often taken out.

This year I strung another barbed wire insulated at both ends and from the support wires. this was just low enough that I could still reach it from standing in the river. From this wire, I tied on pieces of electric fence tape that hang down to about 18 inches above water. the barbs keep these pieces of electric fence tape from sliding on the wire. These are placed about every 10 inches. from a distance, it looks like a wall. when the wind blows, the ends do get high enough that cows could walk under, but they see the tape fluttering in the wind and they already have a healthy education of what that stuff is. they so far have not got through it.
It stayed in all summer, haven't went to look at it, hope I didn't have the tape to close to the water that the ice built up and froze it in. I will be doing 2 more of these next summer.
To support the end of the insulated barbed wire that ends up in the side of a hill, I screwed in one of those screw anchors sold for fence corners.
This is hooked to a 6 joule fencer, so cows have a healthy respect for it.
Do you have a picture?

in my ky hollers that flood like a rushing river.. the only thing that worked good was using an aircraft cable across it, then i just put a cattle panel hanging off the aircraft cable. run the cable through the top of the panel only. that way when the water comes it'll swing out of the way.

sometimes it will collect some debris but 90% of the time everything washed under it. I've never had one taken out and I've had it flood up 7' high and out 70' of the creek.

Latest posts