Running calf to build muscle???

Help Support CattleToday:

G8Tech

Reaction score
Hello,

I am writing on behalf of my two sons, who are both showing steer for the first time. One of my boys is in high school, the other in his last year of middle school. Both steers are kept at their schools.
My older son showed a heifer last year. He decided to break his steer his way,(a little bull headed himself) and my yonger son decided to use the ways I suggested through researching this forum mostly, as well as other resources, such as our feed store owner and the breeder. As far as breaking goes, I think my younger son and I have made the most progress. My question is about feeding and exercise.

They are Black Angus. Were only just over 400 lbs when we got them in late July. Now older son's is 716 lbs younger son's 680 lbs. My younger son's steer weighed about 30 lbs more than his brother's at official weigh in. So their weight gain has been pretty close. The one thing I am concerned with now is muscle. My older son and his friends are running their steers every day to build muscle. Is this a good thing? I thought letting them out in the pasture and walking them on the lead would give them just enough excercise without burning off too much fat. I also think this may cause regression in the breaking process. Could y'all give me some guidance on that? Not that my older son will listen, but I want to do the best thing in the case of my youngest. If running them is good, then we'll do it.

I just remember helping my uncle when I was a kid feeding his steer in Tennesee. He was filling the trough with slop and hay and said run them up this way. Well I started chasing them and he gave me the business when I got within shouting distance. He said I'd kill em if I literally ran them. Therefore I am confused.
Thanks for your help.

Before I went to the state fair walk my calves 5 laps around a 80'x30' lot.I didn't walk them as much as i should because of the heat but it did help and it made them walk better, but right know would be a good time to walk them because it's cooler now.

Good Luck :D

i would just walk them, i feel running them might be a little
over necessary.
i wouldnt want to run off all the fat, i think just walking them will help them to lead better,
and is good enough excercise so that there is a good percentage of fat to muscle.

They are not going to make any more muscle than the animal already has. They can tone the muscle with exercise, but chasing and running the steers is a good way to get one of them hurt. Teaching the steer to lead well and walk it at least 20 to 30 minutes will do more good for the steer than chasing it.

What do they think will happen if a child runs by their steers at a show? They are teaching the steers to flee is someone comes at them quickly.

I have heard from several steer jocks that no matter how much you exercise a steer, you won't get muscle build up. It doesn't work the same as a lamb. The steer jocks have said that letting them loose in a large pen at night does the same amount as walking them around.

Thank you so much everyone! You have confirmed what I thought.
I'll keep you posted on our progress! Of course, my older son still isn't listening! :roll:

Wait a minute, Your son and his friends are actually chasing their show steers everyday at school? Sounds like the advisor of the project at school needs to teach them how to properly care for livestock. Not to mention good luck showing that calf at the fair!

sounds to me like a few folks need an application of a properly fitted Justin to the crack of their posterior nearly to the point of sticking.

The only time I EVER encouraged a calf to even walk swiftly was my last steer in high school. He would get hyper at shows so we would find an arena to run in for 30 minutes at 4 in the morning and that was to burn excess energy (and that was after he had been showing for 4 months already so he knew the routine). All they are doing is making the steers think running is good and they will do it at the show. My philosophy has always been better to have no go than to have no whoah...good luck to y'all on fixing the calves. Walking won't add muscle, just increase apettite and aid soundness, but 30 minutes is the most they need each day, it'll help the kids and calves.

Red Bull Breeder":13fhptfc said:
Tie them on a incline, where they have to stand facing uphill.
This is the best advice. Just don't tie em up too high. Walking lanes are good too. 5' wide x as long as you have. The steers will get good exercise pacing up and down the lanes.

sim.-ang.king":2r85bq8r said:
I have found the future of walking cattle
http://www.coyaltix.com/extra-big/fe19-1.htm
:D :D
this makes the dum horse people look a little smarter

We were using those to hot walk race horses almost 50 years ago. I don't think you could build one strong enuf to use on cattle without a budget the size of NASA.

BTW I thought you were turning over a new leaf. "Dum horse people"? :shock: and you were doing so well :clap:

3waycross":2p8zaq7a said:
sim.-ang.king":2p8zaq7a said:
I have found the future of walking cattle
http://www.coyaltix.com/extra-big/fe19-1.htm
:D :D
this makes the dum horse people look a little smarter

We were using those to hot walk race horses almost 50 years ago. I don't think you could build one strong enuf to use on cattle without a budget the size of NASA.

BTW I thought you were turning over a new leaf. "Dum horse people"? :shock: and you were doing so well :clap:
hey i said i would not be mean to cattle people i just don't like those horse crazy people that take more care of those dum horse than there children

About thirty odd years ago, I had a neighbor who had a walker made for his show bulls. It was heavy duty and the arms were much lower than a horse walker.

sim.-ang.king -- you are ignorant. There are equally as many cattle show folks who act the same way as you accuse the horse people. I've seen the parents at the shows.

Too bad that the steer/heifer is unmanageable - it doesn't matter to the parents that they are endangering their child. It breaks my heart to see a scared little kid get dragged about and the parent angrily screaming at the kid.

There are people like that in every species regardless if they show or if the animal is a pet.

i have seen a lot of good cattle and crop land go to a bunch of dum horses that are not worth there weight in poop is all i'm saying

Latest posts