Run-to shed or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hello. I'm getting my property ready for my first horse. I live in central Kentucky, and will be stabling my horses in the few severe days of winter. There will also be a few trees in their field, but do I still need to build a run-to shed for them? If so, what size should it be for two quarterhorses?

[email protected]

> Hello. I'm getting my property
> ready for my first horse. I live
> in central Kentucky, and will be
> stabling my horses in the few
> severe days of winter. There will
> also be a few trees in their
> field, but do I still need to
> build a run-to shed for them? If
> so, what size should it be for two
> quarterhorses?

Ml, A run in shed is really nice if you have a lot of wind.In my area Pacific Northwest we get alot of wind, rain, and snow, in the mountains.When biulding a shelter take into conderation several things.Will the 2 horses be the same sex, or will there be a mare in the mix. Most mares become boss in a short time.Therefore they will take over.I would say a 16x24 run would be nice. this way there is room for them to get out of the way of each other.also room to feed in when weather is bad.take care to make sure it will drain well or they will be standing in water in the spring.Good Luck!!!

[email protected]

Horses are very tough animals. In my neck of the woods in northwest Iowa our winters are sometimes really nasty. That is the only time that our horses are brought in. We do check them daily to see that aren't shivering or to pick out ice from their noses, but for the most part they winter well. A shed would be nice, but probably not necessary right away.

ML":z7wwn5oe said:
There will also be a few trees in their field, but do I still need to build a run-to shed for them?

Unless these are old horses, or show/performance horses, no you don't need a run-in shed. They came fully equipped with the knowledge and ability to deal with the elements.

I have small barns in all 3 pastures, where the horses can get out of the weather, BUT 99% of the time when it's bad weather they'll be under a tree or huddled in the corner of the pasture

We have stalls in two of our pastures - the horses love them and spend a lot of time just standing in them during the day. Horses may be equipped to deal with the elements, but it makes me feel better knowing they have a choice. That is doubly true for the older horses that aren't carrying as much body fat in the winter.

All of our horse pens have 12 x 12' loafing (run-in) sheds. The door is open...lol. THEY choose as to whether they want in or out. Sometimes, they will choose to stay outside in either cold, rainy, windy weather (but not all 3 weathers at same time). Other times, not. Our 2 stallions often go into the shed, especially when it's hot outside and little breeze blowing. Mares about 50/50 of time.

Main "killers" of cattle or horses, is cold, wet, windy weather and a real killer for newborns.

Latest posts