Rumensin

Help Support CattleToday:

Pointer1160

Reaction score
Was suggested to me to use a mineral with Rumensin for added weight gain on heifers. I have read some of the posts regarding Rumensin but need further guidance. Thanks very much.

What sort of guidance are you looking for? Several men here could help you with a little more info on what you're curious about I'm sure.

Rumensin helps improve feed efficiency/ weight gain in cattle think 6-10% roughly if I remember right. Also prevents coccidiosis if fed correctly cattle need a constant even rate to get best results.

Have tried free choice mineral with rumensin in it to cows and they did not like the taste cause apparently it is bitter so we ended up mixin it in a ration like you would with a supplement. Seemed to help but be careful to not accidentally feed them to much because it can kill them.

If these are heifers, that you are keeping for cows, I'd just turn up the feed a little. To me, rumensin is a good product, and has its place. I wouldn't really use it for that application.

Bigfoot":wjwqvriu said:
If these are heifers, that you are keeping for cows, I'd just turn up the feed a little. To me, rumensin is a good product, and has its place. I wouldn't really use it for that application.
I tend to agree.
Kind of akin to a couple ranchers I know who put Ralgro in their heifers at branding time and then sort replacements out of them. Not really my idea of the best way to make big stout keeper heifers.

js1234":146voe8d said:
Bigfoot":146voe8d said:
I tend to agree.
Kind of akin to a couple ranchers I know who put Ralgro in their heifers at branding time and then sort replacements out of them. Not really my idea of the best way to make big stout keeper heifers.

I understand not using implants as they have effect hormone levels and maybe fertility in certain cases. However rumensin or similar product such as bovatec work more like probiotic that optimizes the gut and gives you additional free growth while reducing health problems. I can see if its extra work to get it into them not being worth doing but in can be mixed in a feed, mineral or lick tub which means you can feed in most situations.

bmoore87":384k2mdn said:
js1234":384k2mdn said:
Bigfoot":384k2mdn said:
I tend to agree.

I understand not using implants as they have effect hormone levels and maybe fertility in certain cases. However rumensin or similar product such as bovatec work more like probiotic that optimizes the gut and gives you additional free growth while reducing health problems. I can see if its extra work to get it into them not being worth doing but in can be mixed in a feed, mineral or lick tub which means you can feed in most situations.
Perhaps I should have elaborated. Rumensin actually is the only Ionophore approved for use in breeding stock. You are correct that it, Bovatec etc. aren't implants and don't work as such. We feed Ionophores in various forms to a whole slug of feeder cattle with mostly good results.
What I did mean though is that Ionophores really are growing cattle for a short term purpose such as finishing or developing a big shiny sale bull etc.
I'm not a fan of taking a heifer who I'm going to ask to go back into the herd for 10 years and bring a calf to the weaning pens each of those years and use products that falsely alters their energy to turbo charge developmental growth. Some do, and it may work very well for them, its just not how we like to grow replacement heifers.

js1234":88jorzom said:
Perhaps I should have elaborated. Rumensin actually is the only Ionophore approved for use in breeding stock. You are correct that it, Bovatec etc. aren't implants and don't work as such. We feed Ionophores in various forms to a whole slug of feeder cattle with mostly good results.
What I did mean though is that Ionophores really are growing cattle for a short term purpose such as finishing or developing a big shiny sale bull etc.
I'm not a fan of taking a heifer who I'm going to ask to go back into the herd for 10 years and bring a calf to the weaning pens each of those years and use products that falsely alters their energy to turbo charge developmental growth. Some do, and it may work very well for them, its just not how we like to grow replacement heifers.
While Bovatec is not specifically approved for breeding stock it has been used "extra-label" for years to bred cattle and cattle nursing calves. Bovatec does not supercharge the cow with energy as much as it simply improves the digestion of feeds that are eaten whether grass or supplement giving an increase in gain. Feeds are available with Bovatec from Milk Replacer up to feeds for mature cattle.
Rumensin seems to be the ionophore of choice among feed lot operators although it's somewhat easier to overdose with it, it is still very safe is mixed properly and is approved for cattle of all ages including lactating dairy cattle. It gives some degree of prevention of bloat and acidosis in cattle fed high grain ration diets. Both have warnings for equines, however, I've seen donkeys in pastures with goats both eating the same Rumensin medicated feeds. Maybe just being a donkey helps them. :lol:

I get rumensin in my feed. My understanding is that it can also be used to help moderate intake, say in creep feeding. doesn't have a withdrawl rate or anything. definitely avoid Ralgro etc in heifers. I know guys that do and it jacks em up, half or more don't tend to breed or have life long issues as females

fnfarms1":3udu8mf3 said:
I get rumensin in my feed. My understanding is that it can also be used to help moderate intake, say in creep feeding. doesn't have a withdrawl rate or anything. definitely avoid Ralgro etc in heifers. I know guys that do and it jacks em up, half or more don't tend to breed or have life long issues as females
It can actually knock cattle "off feed" if not mixed correctly and forced on cattle suddenly. but dont' count on it limiting intake as limiting intake does not give the gain feedlots and most individuals want.

Yep, TB. If you get a feedmill screw-up and they mix the rumensin in at 10X the appropriate dose(dang those pesky decimal points!)... the calves will back almost completely off the feed in 2-3 days...then they start dying...

Lucky_P":1ba7ctop said:
Yep, TB. If you get a feedmill screw-up and they mix the rumensin in at 10X the appropriate dose(dang those pesky decimal points!)... the calves will back almost completely off the feed in 2-3 days...then they start dying...
Another reason many use Bovatec. Much more foregiving.

Latest posts