Ruh-roh---just got light--I got water

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
East Fork San Jacinto River is within 75 yards of my house. usually 2,280' away. It wasn't even to the river fence at 9pm last night.
I gotta go count cows. Pictures later when it get more light.

Watch for them snakes. Its getting close to warm enough. We ended up with 6-1/2". Most is coming your way and the weather liars say the San Jac will crest Sunday.

Balin' Wire":2l1iblqg said:
Watch for them snakes. Its getting close to warm enough. We ended up with 6-1/2". Most is coming your way and the weather liars say the San Jac will crest Sunday.
I'm pretty sure that is the West Fork of the San Jac between Lake Conroe and Lake Houston. They never pay any attention to the East Fork I'm on--nothing out here but pine trees and a few fools like me.... It's still rising I think, but a lot slower than last night's meteoric rise. If we get local rain now or tonight tho, katy bar the door--it has nowhere to go.
This road FM 945 is now closed. Trip into town just went from 9 miles/15 minutes to 55 miles.
DSC00090_zpsqqqjpgez.jpg

Everything is accounted for and on high ground, or what's left of it.
DSC00105_zpszvuf1bkv.jpg

DSC00104_zpsexydozfv.jpg

DSC00106_zpsr27ezyuz.jpg

House will be ok for sure--the little shop--maybe not..
DSC00099_zpsabt2d6os.jpg

Grey, those pictures bring back a lot of memories!! I was born in Cleveland and grew up in Huffman. My mom's parents lived in just S. of Cleveland their entire lives, while my dad's parents did the same in Splendora.

Praying you don't get much more rain, at least for a few days.

MY beavers have been in buckey heaven since early Feb. I'll probably gain a new crop now tho, since all those lodges down along the river are under 10' or more of water. I did think to myself earlier today..."and you were worried about beavers plugging up a few drains..."
I went down to the pond and was going to put the battery and trolling motor on and go look at the low area fences, but found the USS Minnow under 5 ft of water too.

Started down during the night, and has dropped about 1 vertical foot, which is good. Raining again this morning-- which is bad.
There are no dams on this river (East Fork San Jacinto River) upstream of me, but there is one upstream on the West Fork to form Lake Conroe. The SJ River Authority opened the gates on that dam Thurs morning to relieve the high water North of the dam, which meant a bottleneck where the two forks converge just before both flow into Lake Houston about 30 miles downstream. There are no control gates at Lake Houston, just a high water emergency spillway. That means 'my' river fork doesn't flow as fast, can't drain well and it backs up. I understand their reasoning tho. Lots of high $ subdivisions on the west fork around Lake Conroe and above--not much but National Forest on the East Fork--and a few fools like me.

Water is receding fast , almost as fast as it came up. Now only about 1/3 of my place is under water. Was gonna go to the pond this afternoon & put the trolling motor on my alum boat and go check how many fences were still standing--that's when I realized the boat was gone.
I finally found it tho--In my East pasture lodged against a fence about 300 yards down from my pond.
0312161832_0001_zpsm6r4tbyz.jpg

Latest posts