Ruger GP 100 - 2nd choice

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I've ben trying to find a GP 100 .357 for several months. I have only found one with a 6 inch barrel. I'll use this hand gun as my primary carry weapon, so I'm holding out for a 4 inch barrel. It's so hard to find I'm looking for a good second choice. My hands are big and the GP 100 fits me well, also I want to use a crisom trace grip on the hand gun..... any suggestions for a second choice that will fit me, is a quaility weapon, and crisom trace can be used?

Thanks,
Alan

Any of the S&W K frames (like the 686) or the Taurus equivilent (65/66 82) would work. The only drawback to the CT grips is they don;t give you the latitude for getting grips that will fit you as well as some of the others.

grannysoo":1jkqtszt said:
1911 Series .45acp. Kimber is my first choice.

I want to stay with a revolver, as said this will be my carry and night stand gun.... I'm getting too old to fumble around looking for the safety at 2 am if someone high on meth is in my house.... just point the red dot and pull the trigger :D . I also want to stay with 357 cal, because of 38 cal if ammo stays a problem... which I don't think it will... but I'm stocking a few hundred rounds as we speak.

Alan

My wife recently bought the Taurus "Judge"...a real woman's cannon...right? Dual chambered for the .410 and the .45 Long Colt.

The "Judge" does kick a touch...about 3X what my .40 Baretta does... (At least my wife didn't want a .457 !)

Now...

Good luck on finding any .45 Long Colt ammo!! She settled on #4 shot on the .410 as well as some 000 buckshot (3 pellets) as substitute for .45 until the Long Colt becomes available.

At least I have a stock of my .40 S&W hollow points (as well as blunt nose practice rounds), and my 20 Ga with both birdshot and some buckshot.

Running Bill,

Now that looks like a fun gun!.... just went to the top of my wish list after a GP 100.

Thanks,
Alan

For a carry weapon, okay. But home protection? I guess it depends on whether you want to kill someone of get rid of the threat. There is nothing like a 20 gauge pump at home to get the job done. No bullets passing through walls and hitting unintended targets. Just racking the round into the chamber and the sound tends to make people run. Just MHO. :help:

Alan":2tijschi said:
grannysoo":2tijschi said:
1911 Series .45acp. Kimber is my first choice.

I want to stay with a revolver, as said this will be my carry and night stand gun.... I'm getting too old to fumble around looking for the safety at 2 am if someone high on meth is in my house.... just point the red dot and pull the trigger :D . I also want to stay with 357 cal, because of 38 cal if ammo stays a problem... which I don't think it will... but I'm stocking a few hundred rounds as we speak.

Alan

CAUTION: Be carefull about saying that you are stockpiling any ammo. One of the mods on here will call you a cop killer or say that you are enticing others to be cop killers and then delete you post. This can happen even though you don't mention cops, killing or any violent action.

HOSS":3nxtz127 said:
CAUTION: Be carefull about saying that you are stockpiling any ammo. One of the mods on here will call you a cop killer or say that you are enticing others to be cop killers and then delete you post. This can happen even though you don't mention cops, killing or any violent action.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish I would have caught that post before it "vanished".

My carry gun is a Colt Commander. I have two .357's (love those cheap .38's). One is for home and the other is the wife's. It a S&W 640. I wanted to go with a Ruger but couldn't find one with a snub nose barrel. The S&W are high, but they are good quality.

I've seen several GP 100 w/4' barrels here in Houston, can send you a pm if you're interested. Ditto that on .45LC, althought I don't know if they sell online. As for Kimbers, buttah! Even my wife loves Kimber.

Latest posts