Ruger American Rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of Ruger rifles (love their revolvers) but I have found a place to buy Ruger American rifles for $299.00 new from a wholesaler. I would just need to pay shipping and transfer to my local FFL. I am considering buying one in 30.06 and topping it with a Burris scope. Anybody have any experience with these? I have felt the trigger on one at a local gun shop and the trigger, which is an accutrigger style, felt really nice. They are selling for 389.00 at Bass Pro and my local gun shop.

I don't have any expierence with these particular rifles, but over all I've never felt like ruger deserved there bad rap. Maybe I've just had the good ones but they have done great for me.

kenny thomas":23dwp806 said:
A friend bought one in 243 and it shoots great. He really likess it.
What's your overall opinion on ruger? Like I said I have always liked them, but it seems alot of people don't.

denvermartinfarms":12bk2wxi said:
kenny thomas":12bk2wxi said:
What's your overall opinion on ruger? Like I said I have always liked them, but it seems alot of people don't.
I shoot the mini 14 more than any Ruger and love them. My deer rifle is a Ruger M77 in 257 Roberts. I like it also. I am not real crazy about the ruger auto pistols though. The revolvers are ok.

kenny thomas":3lukbdi2 said:
denvermartinfarms":3lukbdi2 said:
kenny thomas":3lukbdi2 said:
I shoot the mini 14 more than any Ruger and love them. My deer rifle is a Ruger M77 in 257 Roberts. I like it also. I am not real crazy about the ruger auto pistols though. The revolvers are ok.
I agree with that, I do have a mark 2 22lr auto pistol with a heavy barrel and some custom grips, it is a heck of a target pistol.

I also have a browning BLR in 257, good deer round IMO.

Sorry for getting off subject hoss, I can talk for hours about different guns.

Hoss it's an excellant rifle for the money. Is it a top end rifle. No but it is the best of it's generation. My gunsmith who hates all things not Remington has endorsed it after working on a few. That's good enuf for me!

I've killed a lot of deer with my Ruger stainless 30-06. Never once had a single problem with it.

Isomade":vedrl9h6 said:
I've killed a lot of deer with my Ruger stainless 30-06. Never once had a single problem with it.

Isom the American is definately not the same rifle as your Model 77. It is however a good gun especially at the price point. I have long been a Savage nut but i have to say Ruger hit a home run with this one!.

As most of you know (plug your ears 3way :mrgreen: ) I am a die-hard Remington 700 guy and I own a boatload of them in different calibers. I am thinking of branching out. I have narrowed my choices down to the Ruger American (very low price point) and a Browning A-Bolt Stalker in 30.06. Bass Pro has them for 499.00 for this week only. I have had Brownings in the past and really liked the. I currently have a Belgium made Auto-5 that has been my go-to shotgun for birds and rabbits. I do like the Tikka T3 but that is stepping up another hundred bucks over the Browning. My goal was to set up a nice 06 for under 700.00 and by the time I throw a decent scope on it I will be over that mark.

I am not so much a Ruger 77 hater it just may be that I have never shot one of the good ones. I have probably shot 6 or 7 and all of them had terrible, creepy triggers, clunky actions and accuracy problems. It might just be a run of bad luck on my part. When Savage first started selling a lot of the 110's several years ago they were the same way (except Savages were always super accurate).....bad triggers and even more clunky actions but the ones I have shot or tried in the last 10 years or so have been much improved

I don't think your going wrong with the ruger or browning, but If it was me I might lean towards the browning.

I never liked 700's or Remington's and about 7 years ago I got one in 30-06 for christmas and it has almost became my number 1 deer rifle. It pretty much turned me around on all Remington's.

HOSS":27qb0uwd said:
As most of you know (plug your ears 3way :mrgreen: ) I am a die-hard Remington 700 guy and I own a boatload of them in different calibers. I am thinking of branching out. I have narrowed my choices down to the Ruger American (very low price point) and a Browning A-Bolt Stalker in 30.06. Bass Pro has them for 499.00 for this week only. I have had Brownings in the past and really liked the. I currently have a Belgium made Auto-5 that has been my go-to shotgun for birds and rabbits. I do like the Tikka T3 but that is stepping up another hundred bucks over the Browning. My goal was to set up a nice 06 for under 700.00 and by the time I throw a decent scope on it I will be over that mark.

I am not so much a Ruger 77 hater it just may be that I have never shot one of the good ones. I have probably shot 6 or 7 and all of them had terrible, creepy triggers, clunky actions and accuracy problems. It might just be a run of bad luck on my part. When Savage first started selling a lot of the 110's several years ago they were the same way (except Savages were always super accurate).....bad triggers and even more clunky actions but the ones I have shot or tried in the last 10 years or so have been much improved

Well Hoss i want you to know that because of your influence I now own a M700 ADL in 25-06, A BDL .222 Rem, A CDL 243 LH, and an ADL 204 Ruger. Thanks a lot pal you coxt me a fortune.............. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Ruger triggers have really improved. They really have no resemblence to the ones on the old 77

3waycross":347vi5o4 said:
HOSS":347vi5o4 said:

Well Hoss i want you to know that because of your influence I now own a M700 ADL in 25-06, A BDL .222 Rem, A CDL 243 LH, and an ADL 204 Ruger. Thanks a lot pal you coxt me a fortune.............. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

:lol: You have come a long way 3way :lol: I'm sure you had a few of those before you met me on here. I prefer the older 700's. Mid 1970's and older. That is just my preference. They seem to have the slickest actions. I do own a few newer ones. The older ADL's had some really nice wood too. I prefer the BDL's in the newer ones. I plan to buy a stainless Mountain Rifle one of these days in 7mm-08 with a laminated stock and top it with a Leupold Vari-X 3. Install a Timney trigger, glass bed it and that would be the perfect all-around rifle :nod:

HOSS":1vm67o9b said:
I have never been a fan of Ruger rifles (love their revolvers) but I have found a place to buy Ruger American rifles for $299.00 new from a wholesaler. I would just need to pay shipping and transfer to my local FFL. I am considering buying one in 30.06 and topping it with a Burris scope. Anybody have any experience with these? I have felt the trigger on one at a local gun shop and the trigger, which is an accutrigger style, felt really nice. They are selling for 389.00 at Bass Pro and my local gun shop.

Haven't shot one in 30-06 but they are as good as you are going to get in the low end price range.
I like the Marlin X7 better as a fit for myself.
In that range you are looking at Savage Axis good gun Remington 770 junk, or the Ruger.
Out of all of them I would say the Ruger is the best IMO.
I shot one yesterday in 7mm-08 was sweet shooter.

Savage axis is a great gun! I've got 1 in 223 that rides in the truck for coyotes, buzzards and about anything else, I think it shoots as good as anything I've got.

Well I blew out my 700.00 budget :oops: . I bought the Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06. I ordered a Vortex scope to go on it. The action is butter smooth and I set the trigger down to 2.5 lbs which is just right for me. The Tikka comes with a guarantee that it will shoot MOA and has a certificate in the box for that serial number that says that it shot a sub-MOA group at 100 meters at the Sako factory using Sako ammunition. I am looking forward to running some rounds through it as soon as the scope gets here next week.

Latest posts