Rubic's Gates

Help Support CattleToday:

It makes an impression if they think your crazy. And they tell everyone. Ibrecall a fellow chasing another fellow around a truck one time he pop him on the azz with a whip. Seemed to fix gate problem

M-5":3gf64qad said:
Combination lock. The combo can be changed anything you want
Combo locks defeat the purpose.
Of using multiple locks.
Accountability. Each having his own lock shows who screwed up.

we had that several years ago lengthen your chain 4 locks 4 pieces of chain each reaches 1/4 way around can't relock it by crossing locks

buzzy":bnbevm2t said:
we had that several years ago lengthen your chain 4 locks 4 pieces of chain each reaches 1/4 way around can't relock it by crossing locks

That's the best way I've found especially if you don't leave enough chain for the idiots to lock around the others. I have this on a few gates and am working toward this end but its difficult to coordinate with the other people to get them all fixed properly. Have also requested keys and combination from everyone using the gates but the power company and some of the other corporate people are reluctant to give their keys out.

Its amazing to me how many people just can't follow the simple rule that you leave the gate as you found it. If its shut, SHUT IT, if its open LEAVE IT OPEN. Of course, maybe its just me and I'm just asking to much.

ga.prime":3rurq5v3 said:
No, it is impossible. Neither can you teach not to throw trash out the window in an otherwise pristine landscape even when you clue them in that Publix Supermarket plastic water bottles are a direct link to Florida.

There you go profiling people again GP. Just because the hunters are from Florida and the beer cans and water bottles are from Florida and their lock was unlocked and locked back where you can't get in the property doesn't mean those Florida boys had anything to do with it. I'm sure if you ask them they would deny it. They all know better than that. Don't believe me, just ask them.

You are so right, Jo. I did ask them and that's exactly what they said- "wasn't us". As if there's a whole other bunch of invisible people bringing trash from Florida and throwing it out next to roads and trails and deer stands. They'd have to be invisible because I'd have seen them by now if they weren't.

cow pollinater":11zfe1ks said:
I've seen custom locks made where there is a sliding bolt piece that slides into the post and the locking part is a series of overlapping pieces of steel, half of which is connected to the bolt and half to the gate so that any of the multiple locks can be opened to break the series but you can't possibly mess up someone else's lock.

WAY too complicated for the idiots Jo is talking about.

Update. Got a phone call Saturday asking why I cut the fellas lock and not a link of chain. My reply didn't go over that well. Seems I blurted out something about stupidity needing to be painful if a lesson is to be learned. Yes, I have a knack of making friends. :hide:

LOLOL

My only suggestion would be to color-code the locks with the links they are to be loked onto.

Red lock, red links, blue lock, blue links......

But then again, one of the fools probably won't grasp that concept either.

There is an old saying that I think holds true to things such as this. "You can't fix stupid".

On the lock I cut there was barely enough chain to lock it wrong. When I say barely I mean you had to work and really stretch the chain and get the gates just in the right position to not lock it correctly. I just find its amazing some people just can't grasp the simplest of concepts.

They need to go back to preschool, undestand that little clamshell toy with the round, square, and star shaped pieces that fit in... remember those?

Jogeephus":xpjhg8tr said:
There is an old saying that I think holds true to things such as this. "You can't fix stupid".

On the lock I cut there was barely enough chain to lock it wrong. When I say barely I mean you had to work and really stretch the chain and get the gates just in the right position to not lock it correctly. I just find its amazing some people just can't grasp the simplest of concepts.
Might be easier to tell him to just crawl under and walk.