Rub Marks

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have 14 heifers that I have locked up and some of them are beginning to get spots on their faces where their hair is gone. I have asked some of the locals and have got some different answers. The two popular ones are, mites that are causing this or they are rubbing up against something. Does anyone else have any ideas what this might be and what can I do about it?

[email protected]

Depends on what the bare spots look like. Being on the face, I would suspect ringworm. It will make them lose their hair and the bald area will look white and scaly/scabby. These areas will bleed if the heifers are rubbing them excessively. Unless you plan on "showing" them soon at a fair, I would let it run its course. It is like a childhood disease. Once they go through it, they should never get it again. But, your facilites now have the ringworm fungus on it, and all young stock exposed to that facility will be prone to getting the ringworm. You can disinfect if you want. The other possibility is lice/mites. But this generally would show up in other places also. The cattle would be itching against posts/trees anything they can rub on. This would take a delice product. There are many on the market from a simple delice pour-on to a internal/external dewormer product. If you suspect lice and use a regular de-lice product, they should be treated a second time 14 days later. ALL cattle should be wormed and delice treated every year in the fall & spring. Jeanne
> I have 14 heifers that I have
> locked up and some of them are
> beginning to get spots on their
> faces where their hair is gone. I
> have asked some of the locals and
> have got some different answers.
> The two popular ones are, mites
> that are causing this or they are
> rubbing up against something. Does
> anyone else have any ideas what
> this might be and what can I do
> about it?

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

> Depends on what the bare spots
> look like. Being on the face, I
> would suspect ringworm. It will
> make them lose their hair and the
> bald area will look white and
> scaly/scabby. These areas will
> bleed if the heifers are rubbing
> them excessively. Unless you plan
> on "showing" them soon
> at a fair, I would let it run its
> course. It is like a childhood
> disease. Once they go through it,
> they should never get it again.
> But, your facilites now have the
> ringworm fungus on it, and all
> young stock exposed to that
> facility will be prone to getting
> the ringworm. You can disinfect if
> you want. The other possibility is
> lice/mites. But this generally
> would show up in other places
> also. The cattle would be itching
> against posts/trees anything they
> can rub on. This would take a
> delice product. There are many on
> the market from a simple delice
> pour-on to a internal/external
> dewormer product. If you suspect
> lice and use a regular de-lice
> product, they should be treated a
> second time 14 days later. ALL
> cattle should be wormed and delice
> treated every year in the fall
> & spring. Jeanne Biggs sounds like jeanne is right on target for your problem. We also had aproblem here ay B & B Farms a few years back and we solved it with some de-lice pour on and a top quality feed through wormer. As we grind our own feed,we make sure to put the de-wormer in a little heavier in the spring and fall,de-lousing has become a regular practice in the fall & late spring. Good Luck on curing your problem.

[email protected]

>Too much cottonseed meal will cause bare spots around the head and neck.Buyers can tell this and they don't give it a second thiught.I just make worming and delicing a routine in working my cattle.
>
>

[email protected]

Latest posts