RRH MR FELT

Help Support CattleToday:

Kinda pricey? Holly cow! (No pun intended) And a 3 straw minimum, kinda like a high class juice bar.

I never used him. I think that is about half price of what his semen sold for several years ago though.

I think the first time I used him over my dad's cows my cost including my discount was something like $10... I don't remember all the details but I'll bet that I threw away at least a few straws when I cleaned out my tank.

cow pollinater":2r4fhix1 said:
I think the first time I used him over my dad's cows my cost including my discount was something like $10... I don't remember all the details but I'll bet that I threw away at least a few straws when I cleaned out my tank.

So, you didn't like him or his calves?

He's a good bull but holy cow why would you pay that much when you can use any of the other top bulls in the breed right now for a fraction of what that would cost you to buy that. Could also just use one of his sons like KCF BENNETT 3008 M326 who has been a pretty good bull that's been used a lot over the years.

SPH":3ipjnfjm said:
He's a good bull but holy cow why would you pay that much when you can use any of the other top bulls in the breed right now for a fraction of what that would cost you to buy that. Could also just use one of his sons like KCF BENNETT 3008 M326 who has been a pretty good bull that's been used a lot over the years.

I'm not sure that I ever would. I don't have any Feltons or prospector in my cattle, so he'd be a total outcross. I like pedigrees that are more homogenous than heterogenous...ie: pedigrees that don't contain a mixture of several bloodlines. He's a high IMF bull, that's a positive feature. I might put semen on a bull like that in the tank with the thought that he would make a good outcross bull if I wanted to go that direction some day. I'm not sure he's worth $1500 for 3 straws. I see there is some Feltons 517 semen in a few other lots in that sale, he might be just as good. I had a lot of respect for Frank Felton and what he did, it might be worth bringing some of that genetics in some day. They were very strong fertility and soundness cattle. Semen on those bulls may not always be available.

Can't go wrong with Feltons 517. He was a breed changer and you can probably find a lot of pedigrees that go back to him somewhere. One of his sons is DR WORLD CLASS 517 10H who is a pretty good bull too that has been used a lot over the years, good calving easy and pretty growthy calves.

SPH":28wrl9pc said:
Can't go wrong with Feltons 517. He was a breed changer and you can probably find a lot of pedigrees that go back to him somewhere. One of his sons is DR WORLD CLASS 517 10H who is a pretty good bull too that has been used a lot over the years, good calving easy and pretty growthy calves.
Is a breed shaker the same as a breed changer?

Hereford76":2o93q5b8 said:
SPH":2o93q5b8 said:

No, the shakers were the IE cattle, which was also from the horned side of the breed, somewhere.

alexfarms":4is8g745 said:
Hereford76":4is8g745 said:
SPH":4is8g745 said:

No, the shakers were the IE cattle, which was also from the horned side of the breed, somewhere.

somewhere huh... thats funny. got a neighbor not too far away that run abunch of those carriers and they calve in january. on the phone one night i asked how do you tell the difference if those calves are epileptic or just cold.

in my book there is only one side of the breed. i guess i don't see the need to mess around with any of the "mutant" genes.

Hereford76":kojoyn40 said:
alexfarms":kojoyn40 said:

somewhere huh... thats funny. got a neighbor not too far away that run abunch of those carriers and they calve in january. on the phone one night i asked how do you tell the difference if those calves are epileptic or just cold.

in my book there is only one side of the breed. i guess i don't see the need to mess around with any of the "mutant" genes.

There will never be one side in this breed.

alexfarms":3ssk1mw5 said:
cow pollinater":3ssk1mw5 said:

So, you didn't like him or his calves?
They were fine as I recall, I'm just wondering how much money I threw away by cleaning out my tank. :lol:

Latest posts