Roundup on ponds

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

There is a rumor going around down here that one of the neighbors sprayed Roundup on a bunch of the moss and muck in his ponds. Guess he got tired of catching more moss than fish. Just wondering if anybody else had heard of this. Do you think it would hurt a cow all that much?? Thanks Jake

[email protected]

I've heard that it might not be the best thing for aquatic use. Other herbicides reported to be better and supposedly safe for livestock. Check out the US Dept of Agriculture websites for more info.

[email protected]

Dirt in the water will probably limit the value of the roundup. It will however be bad for the fish. The safest product I have seen to clear moss from ponds is Copper Sulfate. You apply it from 5 lbs to the acre of water surface. Use a hand crank grass seeder from a boat. it only works in the area it is applied. If you treat the whole pond at once the decaying moss will kill the fisk for lack of oxygen. Its also safe for cattle to drink. Check with local feed store, copper sulfate is cheap.

[email protected]

We've been using Roundup on our ponds to remove spatterdock for several years. It was recommended by the fish biologist for the state fish & game dept. It won't work on algae, very little will. There are products available form aquacide that work well on that. There is a form of Roundup that is made expressly for use on ponds. It's supposedly more effective but is a whole lot more expensive also.

dun

> Dirt in the water will probably
> limit the value of the roundup. It
> will however be bad for the fish.
> The safest product I have seen to
> clear moss from ponds is Copper
> Sulfate. You apply it from 5 lbs
> to the acre of water surface. Use
> a hand crank grass seeder from a
> boat. it only works in the area it
> is applied. If you treat the whole
> pond at once the decaying moss
> will kill the fisk for lack of
> oxygen. Its also safe for cattle
> to drink. Check with local feed
> store, copper sulfate is cheap.

Thank goodness someone finally gave the correct and legal use and name for acquadic roundup. It is safe for use in water, has very low mammalian toxicity (there may be a waiting period between applicaton and use, but I don't think so). For algae I would use copper sulfate penhydrate which is safe, effective, and water can be consumed immediately by cattle after application.

> RODEO is the Monsanto product
> formulated specifically for
> aquatic use. It is basically
> ROUNDUP without the surfactant
> added.

[email protected]