Round vs. Square bales...how do you calulate ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Countrygal

Reaction score
I would like to know what is the yield of one #800 round bale compared to square bales ? For example does 1 #800 round bale equal 8 or more #50 to #60 square bales?
I believe I know how much to feed my cattle (21 head of Angus) but am finding it hard to calulate round vs. square. Can anyone set me straight on this?
It is still nice weather here in WV but we have had a few frosts and cold temps and although we still have some good pasture left I have already fed out some hay. When should I start feeding the hay out daily and when should I begin graining my cattle and how do I start them out?

Thanks in advance for your help !

When the pasture is grazed to around 3 inches start feeding hay. Grain only if the hay is of poor quality or you have lactating cows.
As Tod said, it's a weight thing. If a round bale weighs 900 lbs and a square weighs 50 you divide the 900 by 50, if the round bale weighs 3000 and the square weighs 20 ......... it's a simple math deal

It is a weight thing. That being said, all round bales are not created equal. A small difference in height or density can greatly change the outcome.

Most 4 x 5 round bales will re-bale into 12 - 13 small bales.

Thanks everyone for your answers. You all have been a great help ! The main confusion was as Grannysoo stated..."not all round bales are created equal" as so goes the same for square bales. So I guess it is 1 part guessing and 3 parts common sense ! :)

Countrygal":2s3qciiu said:
Thanks everyone for your answers. You all have been a great help ! The main confusion was as Grannysoo stated..."not all round bales are created equal" as so goes the same for square bales. So I guess it is 1 part guessing and 3 parts common sense ! :)

In reality it's one part weighing, two parts figuring and the erd part is watching the animals condition.

Weight is weight, however, you can feed less hay with squares, because if you want 21 cows to eat 20 lbs of hay or so you can feed 9 fifty lb bales, my cows when fed round bales will eat much more than that, it is hard to limit them, which is why I don't feed them round bales. There is more waste with round bales in a round bale feeder as well. hope this helps.

grannysoo":16af64fp said:
It is a weight thing. That being said, all round bales are not created equal. A small difference in height or density can greatly change the outcome.

grannysoo: Doesn't Homer say Doh? :)

KMacGinley":3p70fs5i said:
grannysoo":3p70fs5i said:

grannysoo: Doesn't Homer say Doh? :)

Doh!!! Spelled it wrong. :)

grannysoo":29x8tnd1 said:

Maybe with your baler. My JD 4x5 makes bales that weigh 750-800. My squares (coastal bermuda) around here weigh 50-55lbs.
Therefore one JD round bale is equal to around 15 small square.

We were buying square bales from a guy who was kind of new to haying, he made them 100 lbs each. I had never been so tired after loading truck after truck of those.

CattleHand":foyjbzl1 said:
We were buying square bales from a guy who was kind of new to haying, he made them 100 lbs each. I had never been so tired after loading truck after truck of those.

Those you want to buy $/ bale not $/ ton:))

interesting

Countrygal":zmy3ttd3 said:
I would like to know what is the yield of one #800 round bale compared to square bales ? For example does 1 #800 round bale equal 8 or more #50 to #60 square bales?
I believe I know how much to feed my cattle (21 head of Angus) but am finding it hard to calulate round vs. square. Can anyone set me straight on this?
It is still nice weather here in WV but we have had a few frosts and cold temps and although we still have some good pasture left I have already fed out some hay. When should I start feeding the hay out daily and when should I begin graining my cattle and how do I start them out?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Latest posts