ROUND BALES

Help Support CattleToday:

yes it will. We always remove hay twine and net wrap before leaving it in the field with cows or horses. We used to throw the twine in large pile of brush that we had pushed up unil one of our cows got in it and ate the twine and killed her. We found the big wad of chewed up twine when she rotted.

kerley":biy9cmkc said:
I want to thank all of you that offered advice about the twine on my round bales. I have another question pertaining to the same subject..... While removing the plastic twine from my round bales I noticed that the bales appear to have been tied as it was bailed. The twine is throughout the entire bale, not just around the outside like in a regular rectangular bale. Could it be the type of bailer used,or possibly an older or newer model bailer. I tried to cut and remove the twine before dumping into the round ring but the string seams to be never ending.....First calve born today at 11:00 am. Guess we're on our way to all that wealth. :lol2: :lol2:

If the twine was throughout the entire bale, that was the fault of the equipment/operator. Probably the actuator for the netwrap didn't retract from the last bale and the netwrap was running the entire time the next bale was being made. I've had that happen before and it's a royal pain.

If the netwrap was in the last inch or two of the outside of the roll, the baler didn't get on the brakes quick enough and was still bringing hay into the roll while the wrap was running. When the buzzer sounds and light goes off, it's time to stop! :D

I just treated a calf for an obstruction in bowel vet seem to think he may have injested some red nylon string from the round bale, try to cut it off while on spear sometimes you may miss a little, had to have the vet out twice almost lost the calf, expensive lesson get all the string off you can find!

Latest posts