Round bales per acre ???

Help Support CattleToday:

leboeuf

Reaction score
I know this is a loaded question & understand this can vary due to density of grass and type, but I was looking for a low and high average. Trying to find a way to justify some addtional land.

Second question, what do you normally pay to lease property that you want to harvest grass/hay on?

Thanks.

you can lease a hay medow if you can find it.an pay $5 or $6 a bale to the owner.an then you have to pay for the fertalizer an lime.i m going to give you some cost an they may scare you to death.if you have to lme a medow thats $75 an ac.but the lime lasts 3 or 4yrs.fertalizer is $400 a ton or over.to put 300lbs to ac will cost you $60 an ac.now baling will cost $25 a bale if you dont own your equipment.the ave you get off a medow is 6 bales to an ac maybe 8 if your lucky.it cost close to $80 a bale to bale hay if you do all i desscribed.the costs are killers.if you dont have hay medows your prolly better off buying your hay.

bigbull338":lsh85w5h said:
you can lease a hay medow if you can find it.an pay $5 or $6 a bale to the owner.an then you have to pay for the fertalizer an lime.i m going to give you some cost an they may scare you to death.if you have to lme a medow thats $75 an ac.but the lime lasts 3 or 4yrs.fertalizer is $400 a ton or over.to put 300lbs to ac will cost you $60 an ac.now baling will cost $25 a bale if you dont own your equipment.the ave you get off a medow is 6 bales to an ac maybe 8 if your lucky.it cost close to $80 a bale to bale hay if you do all i desscribed.the costs are killers.if you dont have hay medows your prolly better off buying your hay.

:? Using your figures.
Lime $75=3 yrs.=$25 per Acre + $60 fertilizer = $85/6 per acre = $14.16 + $6 for owner + $25 baling cost = $45.16 per roll

thats bout right .but i was figuring in that you fertalize the medow 3x during the yr.

Don't forget that you have to pray for rain. If it don't rain the cost per bale goes upi quick as production drops off to almost nothing. And then on top of lost fertelizer cost you still have to buy hay. If you can find a good sourse to buy your hay, stay out of the hay cutting business.

bigbull338":2g56hktm said:
thats bout right .but i was figuring in that you fertalize the medow 3x during the yr.

So you are saying that with 300lb. fertilizer per acre each cutting you only get 2 bales per acre.
I don't think I would want to rent that land.

alabama":2v9hp3h2 said:
Don't forget that you have to pray for rain. If it don't rain the cost per bale goes upi quick as production drops off to almost nothing. And then on top of lost fertelizer cost you still have to buy hay. If you can find a good sourse to buy your hay, stay out of the hay cutting business.

This is good advice. Plus the reduced stress on your heart and family nothing and I mean nothing can get your blood pressure higher or make you cuss more than hay equipment.

Rule 1 remember hay equipment never breaks down until hay is on the ground.

no if everything is right you should get 3 big 1500lbs or a tad more.even at that your looking at $60 a bale including baling fertalizer cost of hay an hauling to the farm.

sounds like there is NO way to offset equipment cost or time spent....might as well just go buy it?

Depends on what your bailing, T85 will give a higher yield than coastal. I'm not happy if I'm not getting 6 rolls/acre. 1000-1200lb rolls. We fertilize 300lbs acre 21-7-14 first cutting, straight amm. nitrate after that.

leboeuf":10necafd said:
I know this is a loaded question ........ Trying to find a way to justify some addtional land.

Loaded is right. With hollow points no less. :nod: I agree with all the negatives to baling your own but there is a lot of positives as well. Independence for one. I don't have to rely on anyone but Mother Nature but she sure can be a beach at times. Any broken promises are to myself but these aren't going to leave me stranded or my cows starving. I can also raise better quality hay myself than most custom guys are willing or able to produce. Also I don't bring new and exotic weeds from other peoples places to mine. Looking at enough hay continue feeding my cows for another several months is priceless.

Hayfields here run anywhere from free - if they like you and the way you maintain it - to $45/acre. The best deal is to bale on halves. They pick up fertilizer cost and you bale it and you split the hay down the middle.

Jogeephus":1sej4ane said:
leboeuf":1sej4ane said:
I know this is a loaded question ........ Trying to find a way to justify some addtional land.

Loaded is right. With hollow points no less. :nod: I agree with all the negatives to baling your own but there is a lot of positives as well. Independence for one. I don't have to rely on anyone but Mother Nature but she sure can be a beach at times. Any broken promises are to myself but these aren't going to leave me stranded or my cows starving. I can also raise better quality hay myself than most custom guys are willing or able to produce. Also I don't bring new and exotic weeds from other peoples places to mine. Looking at enough hay continue feeding my cows for another several months is priceless.

Hayfields here run anywhere from free - if they like you and the way you maintain it - to $45/acre. The best deal is to bale on halves. They pick up fertilizer cost and you bale it and you split the hay down the middle.

Agree there are some advantages but he better be a pretty good mechinic as well.

Well, I aint a good mechanic for sure...... :(

The 2 adjacent properties are also costal and look to yield a lot of hay. They have hundreds of round bales sitting out in pasture and many more stacked up near the corrals. I just assumed they was an abundance of it due to their overstocking. They both run cattle and are up to their eyeballs in calves right now. I have tried to visit with each of them, but have been unsuccesssful till now. Will keep trying.

thanks for all the input

Latest posts