Round Balers

Help Support CattleToday:

eric":1g9k7h8t said:
Ironpeddler, when you first joined these boards, I was disappointed that Macon let you push your products in these forums instead of the classified section. But, after reading your posts, I find that you are very knowledgable about the products you sell, help many folks out when ever possible, and explain the whys and wheres about why folks should consider your machines over others. Since I have no loyalty to any particular brand and could care less what my neighbors think, (re: me buying Kubota when everyone else drives a JD), I find your product reviews helpful. Please keep them coming! And, you are able to do this without the constant mudslinging match that some guys are trying to get you into.

I agree

I got a 335 John Deere baler. We bought it used 3 years ago. We had replace the belts. We Knew when we bought it we would have to replace them. The baler bales tight 700-800 pound bales. It takes about 50 hp to pull it and makes a 4x4 bale. I have seen NH balers and hesston balers bale and they aren't as tight and the balers a lot of the time clog up. My neighbor has a hesston and i can fit my arm half way through the bale. But if i was you i would get a 458 new John Deere with Net Wrap. Thats what we wish we had done.
I saw you call your self gertman I raise gerts to.[/quote]

so which baler did gert go with ?? I think I missed the choice Gert made for a round baler. Ijust bought a Krone KR130 4x4 and very pleased with it so far. Seem's most of the JD dealers around New England are selling Krone balers.

gertguy":8vb9hjtn said:
I got a 335 John Deere baler. We bought it used 3 years ago. We had replace the belts. We Knew when we bought it we would have to replace them. The baler bales tight 700-800 pound bales. It takes about 50 hp to pull it and makes a 4x4 bale. I have seen NH balers and hesston balers bale and they aren't as tight and the balers a lot of the time clog up. My neighbor has a hesston and i can fit my arm half way through the bale. But if i was you i would get a 458 new John Deere with Net Wrap. Thats what we wish we had done.
I saw you call your self gertman I raise gerts to.
[/quote]

I had that baler for 10 years. I weighed many loads of hay and none ever weighed 700-800 lbs. My coastal weighed 500-550.
Have you actually weighed your hay? If so, what kind and what moisture content?

gertguy":1f8xt3ou said:
[/quote]

I had that baler for 10 years. I weighed many loads of hay and none ever weighed 700-800 lbs. My coastal weighed 500-550.
Have you actually weighed your hay? If so, what kind and what moisture content?

We recently purchased a krone baler. Down sides are size of bale. It makes a variable 4' bale. Around here you get alot of comments, but we have found you can make them as heavy as any custom guy dares too. One thing we like is it is a chain and slat baler and we wont wear belts out. Things are relatively simple and they are built heavy.

rouxshortorn":ge92zz53 said:
so which baler did gert go with ?? I think I missed the choice Gert made for a round baler. Ijust bought a Krone KR130 4x4 and very pleased with it so far. Seem's most of the JD dealers around New England are selling Krone balers.

I found a used NH BR 740 that a guy traded for a BR 750.

gertman":1ynwjhov said:
rouxshortorn":1ynwjhov said:

I found a used NH BR 740 that a guy traded for a BR 750.
Good choice, seen a few around here and they seem to like them, how about you ,any problems?

I have read through this post and enjoyed it very much. Am buying a new cutter for next year. Think I have my mind made up already. It is not new Holland even though the dealer is 11 mile away. When the service from 250 miles is better.

Every one is talking about how their baler will do or not do. The rake I found is very important is to what kind and weight the bail will be. I do not bail a lot of hay per year I have had three round baler and four square balers. When I bough a V rake that made a big difference in the bails.

the rake can make any round bale look good.i dont care what brand of baler you have.if you have the rake set right.you can put up a good windrow.an that makes a good bale of hay.

The rake has nothing to do with the weight of the bale. Your windrow can be very light or very heavy and the bale weight will be the same. It will just take more feet of windrow to make a bale with a light one.
What determines the bales weight is, the moisture content of the hay, the type of grass, and the baler itself - how dense can it make the bales.

As far as the bale looking good, if you have a good baler with a monitor you can make a good looking bale with nearly any windrow.

hill..,
One of the advantage of a wheel rake is the ability to set it to the size of the baler. If set right it almost eliminates traversing with the baler. The key to putting a lot of hay in a bale is keeping it even as the bale is built... regardles of the rake used.

We have a almost new Vermeer 505 Super I which is an excellent baler. It has a open throat and pick up is great.....even with a pile of hay which makes the 8600 ford put out black smoke as it chomps it in. Tightest bale I have seen......... a spear will not slide into it unless you are aligned with the center.

With low moisure content we have no problem putting 1500# in a bale when allowing it to build to the last indicator mark. Thats big enough for handling in mud. I don't know what the bales would weigh with high moisture content...probably 1800+#....just a guess..we don't do high moisture hay.

ironpeddler":cx8c5mvg said:
Bez,
Most problems with any color baler is due to operator error. The technology of the Vermeer, JD NH and others does work. The question is which MFG has the best technology? It is a proven fact that Vermeer bale are more dense than JD bales and the Vermeer will take hay faster than JD. In fact JD has yet to equal the technology of the 1987 605J balers. In the 1990's on 28 different large farm shows, Vermeer took on all comers and was never beaten. They all baled hay in the same field at the same time and the weighed the bales when they were finished. The Vermeer is the undisputed heavy-weight champion. The competition was so one-sided JD refused to participate in the demonstrations if the bales were going to be weighed. To this day JD will not participate in farm shows that weigh the bales.
JD current technology stems from a Hesston patent that JD had to pay royalties to Hesston for use of their design.

I will only comment on my experience. We have owned an older JD model 530 for 2 yrs now and have been very pleased. And as I said in another post I don't know why, but my two friends' balers- a N Holland and a Vermeer wouldn't bale the corn stalks this year-they both gave up tring to do such. I believe both are later models than my JD 530. The JD never missed a lick baling 105 with no problems.
Interesting too about the weight deal, as this year we took 3 of our bales from the JD 530 and weighed them at the local grainery(we had never done this before) they weighed 4960 as I recall. I thought that was pretty good for 3 round rolls. But each to his own. I am sure that most new balers of any brand with a competent operator will get the job done.

preston39":19kc8tgf said:
hill..,
One of the advantage of a wheel rake is the ability to set it to the size of the baler. If set right it almost eliminates traversing with the baler. The key to putting a lot of hay in a bale is keeping it even as the bale is built... regardles of the rake used.

We have a almost new Vermeer 505 Super I which is an excellent baler. It has a open throat and pick up is great.....even with a pile of hay which makes the 8600 ford put out black smoke as it chomps it in. Tightest bale I have seen......... a spear will not slide into it unless you are aligned with the center.

With low moisure content we have no problem putting 1500# in a bale when allowing it to build to the last indicator mark. Thats big enough for handling in mud. I don't know what the bales would weigh with high moisture content...probably 1800+#....just a guess..we don't do high moisture hay.

With respect to farmerjohn's post above, I wouldn't have believed it either until I saw it. I was talking to a Vermeer dealer (that I know and he is a VERY knowledgeable farm boy who's baled a LOT of hay and really knows his stuff) at the Victoria farm show and I was commenting on some bales I saw recently that were SO tight that when I hit one with my fist it was just like hitting a sheet of plywood with my fist. I never saw a bale that tight before in dry hay. He told me that it's all in the rake and how it's set. Put up a windrow the same width as the baler pickup and they'll roll that tight, or so he told me.

I think a newer baler has a lot to do with it, as I put up windrows with NH rolabar rakes on a dual hitch and I like a windrow to be just small enough that it doesn't ball up under the tractor, and my old Ford baler doesn't roll anywhere NEAR that tight, but with a new baler and rake I could see that it could work... But that's a lot of money to get a bale that tight! OL JR :)

farmerjohn":yx2w65s8 said:
gertguy":yx2w65s8 said:

Have you actually weighed your hay? If so, what kind and what moisture content?[/quote]

No we haven't wieghed any. I saw in the brochure about 750. I bale all types of crops. Orchardgrass, oats, fescue, bermuda, sorghum sudan, and sum beans at about 12-16% moisture.
I am going to start baling sum more bermuda. what moisture % do you recommend.

I have had that same for 15 years and I bale an average 7-800 lb. roll. But I have had to repack the arms 1.5 times and I run it into the red. I wish I had a 4x5 but It works for me.

gertguy":28m3pj8y said:
farmerjohn":28m3pj8y said:
gertguy":28m3pj8y said:

Have you actually weighed your hay? If so, what kind and what moisture content?[/quo

I would have to admit I'm a Vermeer man. I bought a "L" in the mid 90's. Two years ago I bought both a '10 discbine and a High capacity rack. I find that all of Vermeer products are put together very strong.

I have some neighbors that have two NH balers. They do a lot of custom work. Buy a new one every year. I must admit it makes a very nice bale. Better than my "L" but not sure about the "M".

When the hay is not fit I don't care what kind of baler you have...you'll have crap in the center. :D

Latest posts