Round Baler.

Help Support CattleToday:

George

Reaction score
Looking at buying a New Holland BR7090 round baler with net wrap,any one have any good points or bad things wrong with them?Anyone have any experience baling axial flow straw with them?Thanks for any info.

George":3iq3xnx0 said:
Looking at buying a New Holland BR7090 round baler with net wrap,any one have any good points or bad things wrong with them?Anyone have any experience baling axial flow straw with them?Thanks for any info.
I have ran NH balers for yrs and I just bought a BR7060 last week. I can't think of a complaint one about them have always been reliable and consistant, never baled straw with one but don't see why you couldn't

I have a BR 740 which is a little older ( its a 2005 model) and the only problem I have is that the net doesnt always go over the edge of the bale on every bale, maybe 1 out of 10 will not wrap right.

You shouldn't have much in the way of trouble baling rotary thrashed straw. The older NH balers did it without grief, and the new 7000 series is supposed to be more resilient to tough crop conditions.

If you do have trouble, either bale in the evening when theres dew on the straw, or hit the windrow at the same speed, but at 1/2 or 2/3 RPMs on the PTO until the bale gets formed. After core formation, bring your PTO speed up while maintaining ground speed.

I haven't had a chance to look at the 7000 series. Did they finally increase bearing size on the rollers, or did they take another step back like they did when they went from the 688 to the BR series?

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":2g0scv5j said:
You shouldn't have much in the way of trouble baling rotary thrashed straw. The older NH balers did it without grief, and the new 7000 series is supposed to be more resilient to tough crop conditions.

If you do have trouble, either bale in the evening when theres dew on the straw, or hit the windrow at the same speed, but at 1/2 or 2/3 RPMs on the PTO until the bale gets formed. After core formation, bring your PTO speed up while maintaining ground speed.

I haven't had a chance to look at the 7000 series. Did they finally increase bearing size on the rollers, or did they take another step back like they did when they went from the 688 to the BR series?

Rod

Rod is spot on - my only addition would be - when you get into the ultra dry conditions - we sometimes form the bale - literally at idle speed and then rev it up to finish it.

Either way it is a decent baler. I used one last August while home on leave and never missed a bale while helping out my neighbour.

I even fired up my old NH 540 and did a couple hundred bales for him - it worked like a charm and has done around 25, 000 bales - most of them in the 5 and 6 foot size.

I still like a baler that lets me do net OR twine. Someday I will actually have a new baler.

Regards

Bez+

Bez+":1by5tie1 said:
Someday I will actually have a new baler.

Ah, my dream, lol.

I've been eyeing up a 2003 956A Hesston sitting on the lot, and I think I may pull the trigger on it. But I am going to see what the new Massey 2800 series (Hesston) are worth, just out of curiosity. I think a baler with independent rear suspension would be a huge benefit on some of the rough ground around here, especially for those like that like to dump on the run.

Rod

Curiousity killed the cat,Rod.It at least killed my idea of maybe buying a hesston,massey 2800 with all options except independent rear suspension for the low cost of $44,000.Thats why i'm looking at the new holland 7090 with all options for $36,000.If my vermeer had net wrap,i wouldn't even be buying a new baler,but i just can't make a consistently good bale in axial flow straw.

bigbull338":1uxwj35i said:
well i found a used new holland 100hp with 4wd drive an loader for $26000.
Oh my :oops: the thought of pulling a new baler with an old tractor. :shock:

Hey AC, MRS AC think about that yet? :p

1982vett":2amm8d6y said:

:lol: Oie, what was I ever thinking :???:

$44K seems awful steep, although it could be the individual dealer, as the 956 Hesstons were reasonably priced, even optioned out. Oh well, no new baler for me, lol.

Rod

1982vett":2ns7yi1e said:
bigbull338":2ns7yi1e said:
well i found a used new holland 100hp with 4wd drive an loader for $26000.

Hey AC, MRS AC think about that yet? :p
Well the oldest tractor she has is a 2002 model and the newest is a 2008 so she isn't to concerned with a new tractor for the baler , but she is wanting to buy her a 4wd and get rid of her 2wd :lol: :lol:

It could very well be he dealer Rod,when you find out what your dealer is asking for a new baler.Could you please post it for me.I have heard that on these new holland baler's,they are having trouble in the brains of the baler with the electrical,any truth in that?

We've run NH round balers for years and are currently using a BR780A w/ wide pickup.....makes excellent bales but the pickup will plug easier than the standard version.( wide pu is great for baling behind big combines tho!) Have never had any kind of problem with the bale command on over 20,000 bales. The new balers are supposed to handle difficult straw even better and net wrap should be a real asset in handling rotary straw.......some say over the edge wrap is the answer but not sure if NH has that option.

SaskHerf":11334exn said:
i would very seriously consider the JD 568. We run a 567 and it is a good baler, would have trouble switching colors!!!

I have the 2004 vermeer 605xl model right now,and vermeer has done a lot of improvements on there baler since then for more capacity.Being that i had one of the first vermeer's in the area,had a lot of different guys check it out,and the John deere guys telling me that they could out bale it.Me not being one to back down from a challenge,told them to put there baler where there mouth was.Never got beat by one,that was using twine tie either.They would just leave the field quietly,and never hear about it again.Not a big fan of green paint,because that green paint is over priced so bad.And if John Deere balers are so good,why are they the dealerships for vermeer balers now?That's why i haven't priced out a new vermeer baler yet,because then i would have to go to the John Deere dealership then.I'm not here to bash other baler's,i'm glad your baler works good for you.

cowsense":3q25l6qa said:
We've run NH round balers for years and are currently using a BR780A w/ wide pickup.....makes excellent bales but the pickup will plug easier than the standard version.( wide pu is great for baling behind big combines tho!) Have never had any kind of problem with the bale command on over 20,000 bales. The new balers are supposed to handle difficult straw even better and net wrap should be a real asset in handling rotary straw.......some say over the edge wrap is the answer but not sure if NH has that option.
yes NH has over the edge wrap now

George":8djyv3h7 said:
It could very well be he dealer Rod,when you find out what your dealer is asking for a new baler.Could you please post it for me.I have heard that on these new holland baler's,they are having trouble in the brains of the baler with the electrical,any truth in that?

I'll get a quote from the salesman today.

As for issues, the BR series didn't have any grief, although the bale shape sensors were a little slow. You almost had to anticipate when the LED was about to change and move over before it really did. I found that with the manual pointers on the 664 and 688s as well. On the 7000 front, I haven't heard of a single issue, although I can't think of a single person in the area who owns one. Haying equipment is really soft now.

Rod

Haying equipment is really soft now.

Rod[/quote]
And i believe it is going to get a lot softer,starting to wonder why i'm even thinking about buying a new baler,starting to wonder why even these cow's are here!!!Go on saskatoon livestock sales homepage and look up market report's.90 cent steers and 80 cent heifer's what a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts