ROUND BALER

Help Support CattleToday:

newrancher

Reaction score
Well the handwriting is on the wall,so Ive decided to start looking for a used baler. What size can I pull with my 240 massey? What are some things I need to keep an eye out for? I know it will have to be a smaller one, but model numbers mean nothing to me as of now. I dont mind working on one, just dont want to buy a pig in a poke. Have several dealers in the area so not really looking for brand specific, however vermeer or new holland would be top choices. Thanks

I will give you my experiance. My father had a 435 John Deere baler according to the specs it would need a minimum of about 65 HP. Well the big tractor crapped out. The next biggest tractor was a 4100 Ford it is 43 HP. We hooked it up to the baler and it did a good job of pulling it.

Try a used JD 430 or even better a 435.
I have a JD510 that I would love to trade in and get a 435.

You can get by with a smaller tractor on a large baler if you're on flat ground. You need extra weight and horsepower when you're on hills. Try going up a good incline with a good windrow. Your tractor will grunt. I would think you should stay with a 4' x 4' baler with that size tractor.

lucky7chief":9p7gvncu said:
You can get by with a smaller tractor on a large baler if you're on flat ground. You need extra weight and horsepower when you're on hills. Try going up a good incline with a good windrow. Your tractor will grunt. I would think you should stay with a 4' x 4' baler with that size tractor.

lucky7 you are correct. I am bailing with a 108 hp tractor when the bail is about full it takes all it has to maintain rpms. We tried it with our 70 hp JD it did not have enough to go up hill. Using a Vermeer 5x6

newrancher":2xio4zak said:
Well the handwriting is on the wall,so Ive decided to start looking for a used baler. What size can I pull with my 240 massey? What are some things I need to keep an eye out for? I know it will have to be a smaller one, but model numbers mean nothing to me as of now. I dont mind working on one, just dont want to buy a pig in a poke. Have several dealers in the area so not really looking for brand specific, however vermeer or new holland would be top choices. Thanks
You can handle :
Vermeer: 504 F,G or H- 504I, 5400 Rebel, 5410 Rebel
New Holland: 630,634
Hesston: 530,540, 5530,5540, 730, 740

Thanks everyone for your replies. What are some obvious signs of wear or abuse? What are the most costly things to repair that I should keep an eye out for?

I usually look for rust, belt condition, worn sprockets, and worn chains. Try to rattle any bearings to see if they're worn. There shouldn't be any play.

Iron Peddler,of the Vemeer models you recomended(504 f-g-h-i) what are the differences,also are all those you mentioned,vermeer , new holland, hesston soft core balers. we have a 40hp@pto tractor and are also interested in a baler that would accomodate a smaller hp tractor. By the way we purchased a used new idea disc mower from Mr Clyde Carter and we are extremely satisfied with it.