Round Baler and Tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

ncboy34

Reaction score
I'm currently baling hay with a new holland 847 round baler. It is in good shape and makes good bales but I have been noticing that my tractor is having trouble pulling it. It is a masey ferguson 263 and about a 60 horsepower At the start of the summer it did fine but I typically mowed in low 4. Right now I'm lucky to get it to go in low 3 without it choking out. Does this sound like something wrong with the tractor or do I have to big of a baler for it. I have considered getting away from the chain baler anyway because I feel like I am on borrowed time with it. Any opinions?

dun":3jtv5q1p said:
Replace the tractors fuel filter
you can try the filer changing but i doubt thatll fix your prob.you need to get an 85hp tractor to pull that baler.because that baler is lugging it down.we pulled an old 851 years ago with a 6000 ford an it would smoke that tractor pulling it.then we bought a 7700 ford 84hp tractor to pull it.an that solved the prob.

The manual says your good on the hp. Most likely, it's the fuel filter ( change it out) and/or the water separator (drain it). My tractor does the same thing every now and then. And it's almost always the filter or the water separator.

if a filter does not fix it,then look for a bearing locking up on the baler.horsepower requirements vary a lot with just belt balers.