Round Bale Trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

twabscs

Reaction score
Hi All,

I sold my hay equipment so I could run more pairs on my place. Of course, picked a tough time to do this given hay prices this year, but anyway I now need to buy and transport hay. Can you all provide some options on how you do it?

My neighbor said he would deliver the 120 big round bales for me (I purchased from him), but he doesn't always follow thru, if you know what I mean, and so I need to be ready if I have to go and get it myself (about 20 miles) and/or buy some from someone else.

Anyone use one of these round bale trailers? Something like this:

http://www.orangeox.com/goBobOrangeOxHayTrailers.htm

I also have a 14K 22ft bumper pull trailer that I can use but I plan on trading it in on a longer GN soon.

Thanks

I have a flatbed and a self uloading trailer. Much prefer the self unloading trailer. Its nice and saves you from having to have two tractors when moving hay.

I have a 6x4 trailer and get three bales on at a time , go to town once a week and pick them up at the same time. Trailer is used for everything else too so no extra cost .

Two trips with trailer equals one with the Orange one ...and if I get rid of my sedan and get a pickup I could get the other 3 on the pickup.

4 foot bales that is.

I use this:

http://www.horstwelding.com/wagon_items.php?id=19

Model 285 with 22 foot dual 6"x 4" reaches. Throw the stock tires away and replace them with the largest used cement truck front tires you can find - expensive - but they are a far better tire than an ag tire for this application. Get 5 - you will need a spare someday.

And I then put a 30 foot long x 8.5 feet wide steel hay deck on it. Round bale deck with bar spacing at 18".

I can carry 22 five foot round bales or 36 big squares at 8 foot long - and trust me that is a big load - overhangs about a foot and a bit off the front and back of the deck.

The wagon tongue is about 11 feet long and too heavy to screw around with so I put a double spring assist on it - so even a 6 years old girl can pick it up.

Total cost for this rig - $5,500 Canuckle bucks.

Pull it empty at 60 miles per hour and it tracks true.

Do not have anything that can reach those speeds when it is loaded - generally I haul at about 15 mph max.

Yeah you need a front end loader - but the big thing is - you need to haul numbers - or hauling costs kill you.

I usually have another hay deck at my disposal - it is 30 feet long and runs on this gear:

http://www.horstwelding.com/wagon_items.php?id=12

Model 505 with 6 wheels.

I do not like the six wheel set up - not as manoeuvrable in tight spots.

A bit heavier wagon - with the same deck as mine in size - but a steel mesh deck top. I welded kickers on the front and back for the owner - and I use it whenever it is available.

Tuck the two wagons together and I trot down the road with 72 - 8 foot big squares behind me. Or 44 - 5 foot round bales.

Including tractor my rig runs about 100 feet long - maybe a bit more with the loader equipped with a spear.

Nobody gets in my way!! :lol:

Usually pull it with a Case IH 5250 4WD and loader.

Alan - do not know how many bales you need - but never buy to fit your operations today - unless you can guarantee you will not expand. Nothing worse than having to trade up or buy another. If it fits the budget - buy a little bigger than you need. Less wear and tear and less stress on the equipment.

Have fun.

Easiest way if you do not want to spend the money on capital expenditures - hire it done - one time expense and you are finished.

Good luck and regards.

Bez+

Additional comments:

Alan - forget that rig - you are not hauling a big enough load. 20 miles? 40 round trip. For 6 bales? Buying 120 bales.

The truck rig looks pretty unstable to me - in fact I believe it to be over loaded in the pic.

You wanna' drive about 20 round trips. 800 miles for bales? Forget it!!

You can hire a tractor trailer unit and still make it pay if you factor in wear and tear on your own rig.

For distances like this - haul big or hire it done - no two ways about it.

Regards

Bez+

Not to hijack the post but I would like to see the Ranger safely pull the following load from the Riteway website referenced above.

3400truckpull.JPG

The trailer is loaded with 11 big bales. Assume that they 850 lbs, comes to 9,350 lbs add another 1,500 lbs for the trailer and you are around 10,850 lbs. Way too much for a compact pickup, an accident waiting to happen.

The trailer does look good tho-

Latest posts