round bale feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

the best feeder that has very lil if any waste is the ring type feeders made out of sq tubing.an they are alot cheaper to build.our hay rings last 10yrs if their not built out of real lite stuff.

bigbull338":ohfpp0i1 said:
the best feeder that has very lil if any waste is the ring type feeders made out of sq tubing.an they are alot cheaper to build.our hay rings last 10yrs if their not built out of real lite stuff.
How would you know since your brother is the one feeding the cows all the time
I have always wondered what you do if your brother and nephew always do all the work around there
I guess you don't have to work with that gov't check coming every month for being dimwitted
plus not ever having any real experience in the real world since you have always lived at home with Momma and never had to make it on your own in the real world
there is No way 70 cows will support 3 families unless they have other income which I would guess in your case it is a check from taxpayers for being mentall challenged
I also don't know why if you are the big cowman why your brother is the one always doing the work as 70 cows is just a hobby
most guys I know that run less than 150 cows have a full time job in town to support their family

I build them out of old trampoline frames. Pretty much everything is scrap or short iron. I do stitch cattle panel segments into the bottom. I might have $20 tied up in each one?

People now talk about these a lot locally and I get frames donated from time to time. A nephew brought me two this year.

I can put out 18 bales of hay now without any of it laying in the mud. It lasts a week. Sure beats driving down there every day.

http://ranchers.net/photopost/showphoto ... puser/2144

Angus Cowman":2qoqav66 said:
bigbull338":2qoqav66 said:
How would you know since your brother is the one feeding the cows all the time
I have always wondered what you do if your brother and nephew always do all the work around there
I guess you don't have to work with that gov't check coming every month for being dimwitted
plus not ever having any real experience in the real world since you have always lived at home with Momma and never had to make it on your own in the real world
there is No way 70 cows will support 3 families unless they have other income which I would guess in your case it is a check from taxpayers for being mentall challenged
I also don't know why if you are the big cowman why your brother is the one always doing the work as 70 cows is just a hobby
most guys I know that run less than 150 cows have a full time job in town to support their family
well now the 1 that crys the loudest of all is you.i dont depend on nobody for nothing.prolly on my worst day i can run you to ground.but thats not the issue.you just enjoy starting something.i feel sorry for you because all you can do is call people names.well the guys that have fulltime jobs cant make it running cattle an pay for everything.now im done with this crapp.

Wow. I thought this was a cattle site. Not Springer. Must be some personal issues somewhere...

Anyways, I like the ones made out of tubing with solid steel 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.

Anguscattle":125228lp said:
Wow. I thought this was a cattle site. Not Springer. Must be some personal issues somewhere...

Anyways, I like the ones made out of tubing with solid steel 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.

Think that's the key.

I'm getting ready to build some feeders and they're going to be the "cradle" type. CB posted some pictures here some time ago and that's the type I'm building.

I'll be using sucker rod for the cradle, angle iron for the frame and square tubing for the legs. To radius the sucker rod I will chain one end of the rod to the tractor tire and roll it around the tire. At least that's the plan. I'll post some pictures when I get through if I can make the picture thing work.

lavacarancher":3v0w6lq6 said:
I'm getting ready to build some feeders and they're going to be the "cradle" type. CB posted some pictures here some time ago and that's the type I'm building.

I'll be using sucker rod for the cradle, angle iron for the frame and square tubing for the legs. To radius the sucker rod I will chain one end of the rod to the tractor tire and roll it around the tire. At least that's the plan. I'll post some pictures when I get through if I can make the picture thing work.
Did you build the cradle feeders and if you did where are the pictures. I was wondering how to bend the sucker rod, thank's for the idea.

We use the regular ring style feeders in the heaviest pipe we can find, one problem we have had in the past is the light sheet metal that skins the bottom to hole the hay in rusts out pretty fast and gets ripped off, i finally fixed this by bolting round baler belting in place of the sheet metal around the bottom, can't rust and the cows don't have a chance of hurting it in any way really.

I finally got a trampoline to use to try one of backhoes cradles. The neighbors were gone over memorial day and I swiped the one out of their back yard. Boy are those kids gonna be surprised..

Well that is not totally true, the highway is taking their house and they moved off and left it over 6 months ago and the bottom was tore out, so I don't think they are gonna miss it...
I hope not cause it is now in little pieces. It will be a while before I can work on it because the same highway took our house and we built a new one, and I have lots of work to do.
My wife commented she couldn't believe I was messing with a stupid trampoline with everything else I have to do.

krankieone":3fv2addo said:
I just use 4 posts and 4 rails and make a little square corral and put the bale in it
For our drylot at the lower ranch we did the same thing, only made it V shaped, with the open end meeting the outside fence, that way one guy can feed without opening gates, just push the bale in with tractor, put a second one in and push in, never have to open a gate or get in with the cows! We made the top rail out of pipe and the bottom out of highway guardrail, works like a charm :D

TennesseeTuxedo":3ubyogyw said:
Post some pics of what you built 429421blkangus if you have the time.

Much obliged.
I will have to take some pictures first but i will try to get them up for everybody!

Latest posts