Round Bale Feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
I'm fixing to build some round bale feeders, V shaped with skids where I can move em around. I have a pretty good drawing from others I have seen in the past, but I'm concerned about spacing on the tubing. It will be vertical and I don't want any chance of them getting a head stuck in it, I was thinking 12", what are your thoughts?

midTN_Brangusman":334quxqz said:
For grown cows I think I would go 16. Larger gap = less material = lighter and more cost efficient

I got all the tubing for free, would you still make em 16"? I'll only be adding one per side by going 12"

Ol' 243":favm28m6 said:
midTN_Brangusman":favm28m6 said:
For grown cows I think I would go 16. Larger gap = less material = lighter and more cost efficient

I got all the tubing for free, would you still make em 16"? I'll only be adding one per side by going 12"

I think I would, but I got big cows.

Ol' 243":3cwjsssu said:
I'm fixing to build some round bale feeders, V shaped with skids where I can move em around. I have a pretty good drawing from others I have seen in the past, but I'm concerned about spacing on the tubing. It will be vertical and I don't want any chance of them getting a head stuck in it, I was thinking 12", what are your thoughts?

I will see how far mine are apart.

Caustic Burno":1ltfqqrc said:
Ol' 243":1ltfqqrc said:

I will see how far mine are apart.

Thanks

dun":8ulr1f1i said:
Part of the equations is the diameter of the feeder

Building it in a V shape to hold a single 4 x 5 bale, actually lay the bale on it's side in it.

What will be the outside diameter. I have 3 different sized feeders and the openings are different on each of them.

dun":37o7sq1h said:
What will be the outside diameter. I have 3 different sized feeders and the openings are different on each of them.

Basically two 5 x 5 panels welded into a v with the ends welded up. About 40 off the ground to the bottom of the v, four legs on each corner welded to skids. Does that make sense?

Here is one I made earlier in the year for 4x4 round bales. I have been feeding 8 2yr old bulls from it for 3 months and nothing has been caught in it nor have they knocked it over, been very economical on hay. I used rubber conveyor belt on the catching tray underneath it. The idea is to load the round bales off the back of my utility truck using the boat trailer winch to pull them into the V and then pull it into the upright position and lock it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_09LckoX7uw

And with it in action.

Ken

wbvs58":387n6p8b said:
Here is one I made earlier in the year for 4x4 round bales. I have been feeding 8 2yr old bulls from it for 3 months and nothing has been caught in it nor have they knocked it over, been very economical on hay. I used rubber conveyor belt on the catching tray underneath it. The idea is to load the round bales off the back of my utility truck using the boat trailer winch to pull them into the V and then pull it into the upright position and lock it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_09LckoX7uw

And with it in action.

Ken

Thanks, almost exactly the way I'm gonna build mine, minus the winch system.

Ol' 243":3m01bdbj said:
Caustic Burno":3m01bdbj said:
Mine is a half circle design it holds two 4x5's. The bars are 24" apart.

Looks very efficient for not much material cost.

The hay savings pay for it quick.
What falls under doesn't get walked, peed and shyt on they eat it.
I estimate it has a 25 to 30% hay savings.

That is a very nice design and the catch underneath will definitely save hay from wasting. I'm just surprised that given this board no one has:
1. Griped about the welds
2. Griped about the equipment
3. Griped about the building and/ or construction of said building
4. Griped about the bull
5. Got into an argument about the bull's body condition score
6. Got into an argument about the color of the bull
7. Somehow mentioned the current or past president and locked the thread
:hide: just kidding really nice design

red angus 2010":k5q1kfp3 said:
That is a very nice design and the catch underneath will definitely save hay from wasting. I'm just surprised that given this board no one has:
1. Griped about the welds
2. Griped about the equipment
3. Griped about the building and/ or construction of said building
4. Griped about the bull
5. Got into an argument about the bull's body condition score
6. Got into an argument about the color of the bull
7. Somehow mentioned the current or past president and locked the thread
:hide: just kidding really nice design

Those are all valid points, be patient, someone will be along shortly. :lol:

Latest posts