Round Bale Feeders and Longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Will a regular round bale feeder work with Longhorns, or is there some type of special feeder? I have been just feeding on the ground, but am getting tired of them tromping the hay.

I thought I've seen people use horse bale feeders with Longhorns before. The kind that are open on the top of each opening. But maybe the bars are too high for a cow to get their head in. Just a thought.

> Will a regular round bale feeder
> work with Longhorns, or is there
> some type of special feeder? I
> have been just feeding on the
> ground, but am getting tired of
> them tromping the hay.

TXBobcat- Their are those black plastic pipe ring round feeders. They could get their head in them- I've had fair luck with them- I was pretty skeptical if they would hold up when I first saw them. But they do have a guarantee with them. I had the bulls break one and they replaced it for me. They work great for horses if you take the top ring off(so they don't wear off their mane). Light enough a lady or big kid can flip them or move them.

Where can you purchase the plastic pipe feeders? Would Tractor Supply have them? I don't guess I have seen one, or if I have, I don't remember it.

> TXBobcat- Their are those black
> plastic pipe ring round feeders.
> They could get their head in them-
> I've had fair luck with them- I
> was pretty skeptical if they would
> hold up when I first saw them. But
> they do have a guarantee with
> them. I had the bulls break one
> and they replaced it for me. They
> work great for horses if you take
> the top ring off(so they don't
> wear off their mane). Light enough
> a lady or big kid can flip them or
> move them.

> Where can you purchase the plastic
> pipe feeders? Would Tractor Supply
> have them? I don't guess I have
> seen one, or if I have, I don't
> remember it.

> **********************

TX Bobcat--I'm not sure where they are made as I can't remember any name on them- They may come out of Canada- Here in Montana I bought them at the feedstore. Sorry I can't help-

Oldtimer

I use LARGE tractor tires to feed my long horns - get cheap too! free from local tire stores.

Alex

> Will a regular round bale feeder
> work with Longhorns, or is there
> some type of special feeder? I
> have been just feeding on the
> ground, but am getting tired of
> them tromping the hay. tombstone style feeders work best, no hang ups, but horse feeders are too light weight for bulls or taller steers they tend to lean in to reach the hay and bend the dividers. i am currently building one out of 2 old drive rings from a couple of old jamesway silo unloaders and some reject treated 4x4's from the lumber yard. got all of about $35 into it so far, might need a few more bolts though. shouldn't go over 50 i would think.

[email protected]

At Running Arrow Longhorns, we use the heavy duty (+/- 200# wt) "horse type" feeders for Longhorns. Ones we use are mfg. by Applegate Steel (Red Color: "Tombstone" model) and by Tarter Gate (Blue color). These have worked VERY well! Calves as well as others feed ok. These feeders range between about $185 and $250 each, depending on mfg and your area dealer source.

We prefer the Applegate One (Red) since the 3 sections have pins to latch sections. Tarter Gate (Blue) use 2 bolts on each section.

Hope this helps!

[email protected]

Thanks for the info Bill, and everyone else also. I was curious as to what ya'll used, since I knew you raised Longhorns also. Hey, Bill, have you ever been down to the Best At West Longhorn Sale in West, TX? It's about 15 miles north of Waco on I-35. There's a sale there this weekend that I plan to go to.

> At Running Arrow Longhorns, we use
> the heavy duty (+/- 200# wt)
> "horse type" feeders for
> Longhorns. Ones we use are mfg. by
> Applegate Steel (Red Color:
> "Tombstone" model) and
> by Tarter Gate (Blue color). These
> have worked VERY well! Calves as
> well as others feed ok. These
> feeders range between about $185
> and $250 each, depending on mfg
> and your area dealer source.

> We prefer the Applegate One (Red)
> since the 3 sections have pins to
> latch sections. Tarter Gate (Blue)
> use 2 bolts on each section.

> Hope this helps!

Hey TXBobCat! Coincidence!! My wife, Sandy Martin, will be at Dec 6 sale at West, TX. this weekend. I have to stay here and feed, manage horses, cattle...lol.

E-mail me and I'll e-mail you her Cell Phone Number. Sure she would like to meet and talk.

She's leaving later this afternoon.

Bill

[email protected]

I havent personally been to the sale at west, however, i hear a lot of bad things about it. i hear it has basically become a "sale barn" just for longhorns. but there have been some good things.

the sales that eddie wood put on have much better quality of animals and prices.

[email protected]

The West Auction has a good reputation locally. They are far from being "a 'sale barn' just for longhorns." They do run longhorn specialty sales now and then, but they would probably run specialty sales for yaks if there was money in it.

Their link is <A HREF="http://www.westauction.us/index.cfm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.westauction.us/index.cfm</A>

Craig-TX

I have been to the last two Longhorn sales in West. The first sale had about 129 registered head and the last sale there were 82 head. Yes, the atmoshere is similiar to a normal sale, excpet they take a little more time on the bids. (Guess is gives people more time to think it over and jump in). After the registered sale they also run commercial longhorns thru the ring (at a much faster pace). Overall, I think West puts on a good sale, resgistered and commercial. By the way, they also have a very good restuarant at the sale.

> what i meant was that the Longhorn
> only sale was more like a sale
> barn atmosphere, not that only
> longhorns sold there

Latest posts