roughing up concrete

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
In one of my small holing pens I have a piece of cement that extends into it by about 5 feet that is from an old hog shed. The cement is in perfect shape, about 4" thick and SMOOTH. I have had a few calves slip on it, and would like to rough it up somehow so the cattle get some traction. Is there an acid or something I can pour on it that will eat into it a bit to give it a rougher touch?

You can probably rent a concrete saw somewhere or borrow one, and just cutt several 3/4" deep grooves across it and then chip every two or three out.

There is a company out there that makes a rubber coating-- I thought about trying it- but it was too expensive for me :( .
If interested I'll poke around and see if I can find it again.

Depends how thick you apply the tar and how coarse the gravel is. When the local auction mart put their digital scale in, the animals would flop and slide all over the painted checker-plated floor. Their application only lasted a few sales before it wore off, but they were really stingy with the tar and used fine (like sandblasting fine) sand. Put a 1/4 inch layer in strips and throw on gravel with some small pebbles in it...should work.

Go to Wally World and get a concrete blade for a skill saw. Since you're just roughing it up, no need to spend the money renting a concrete saw. JMO.

I assume what you have is a concrete slab. Portland "Cement" is an ingredient in concrete.
The best way I know to roughen the surface is to chip away the laitance that formed on top while it was finished. It is made up of mostly cement and water that is floated to the top while the large and small aggregate are patted down to get the smooth finish.
Most any type of chipping hammer will work. Just chip away the top surface.
If you can build, a "HOT" fire on the slab the expanding air bubbled in the top surface will fracture way the top surface the easy way. You could use a torch and heat a small spot at a time and chip away the surface that way.
You could also bolt down a grid of welded together number 6 rebar. I would say weld a flat mat of rebar on 8 inch centers and bolt it down every 16 inches or so.

There have been some good suggestions. I like the rebar mat and it could be taken up later if you decided to change configurations and use the concrete again.

Another alternative is to hit it with acid such that you break down the concrete. The you can wash it and leave the exposed gravel that is not affected by the acid.

Told Hubby about the Tar idea-- hes gonna try it in his working chute--- one of these days :)

I am going to try the tar and gravel this week. Thanks for the great ideas!

Latest posts