Rough week, then it gets worse :O

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, I've just finished having one of those weeks... Had a sick cow to take care of all week, put her down yesterday... Many of you will remember her actually, she was "Maddy", and known around here as the "chairman of the board", and was 3 years old. I think she got heat stroked/dehydrated, most likely because she's not a pushy cow and some of the older bosses like to hang around the waterer and not let any others get close. The other option is that she had hardware disease, but we didn't find anything during her autopsy, just a very clogged abomasum.

Then it gets worse... I'm also mourning my birthday

For those who don't know her, This is Maddy when she was a calf.
[youtube]LE1QQOlF1tQ[/youtube]

I'm so sorry. I know that many say, "it's just a cow", but it is easy to get attached to one.

And I am sorry that it happened on your Birthday. I hope that your day gets better.

Definitely not a good day Nesikep. I'm sorry to hear of that kind of thing.

With any luck the only way to go now is up. I hope it gets better for you.

Katherine

my bday is actually on sunday... If memory serves correctly, I share it with hooknline. (So happy bday in advance to him too).

As for Maddy, she was a good cow with more than her share of bad luck this year... This year she lost her calf.. Then adopted one, he was doing fine until now (he's not so lucky either), then she didn't breed back till the 3rd cycle, and then this. In all it was a tiring week (tube feeding, etc), I think I'm due to take a day or two off and play with my new toy I bought myself (An old Honda XR 500... an amazing machine)

There have only been a handfull that I didn't mind losing... It just sucks.
I don't let it ruin my day though so :bday: .
You to hook.

I have a bunch I keep wanting to ship, but they just keep going... you know, the ones who stretch all your fences, a mean as a wet cat after calving... those will live to 25. I have my old girl Rosie who's raising her 15th calf... I've kept a replacement for her every year for about 5 years, and apart from some arthritis in her hips and worn teeth, she makes great heifer calves (good thing, she's at a 10:5 heifer to steer ratio).

I have found that if a cow makes 5 years with no problems, there's a really good chance she'll make 10 without a problem as well... the first 3-4 years are certainly the hardest.

Maddy's little guy isn't a happy camper.. he's in the corral with my late calfer (due within 10 days)... he actually got a good licking from her the other day which surprised me. She's getting really oval... she's surpassed round at about 6 month pregancy and she's getting uncomfortable too... Hopefully she makes me a good belated bday present... Wonder how heavy this one will be.. there certainly hasn't been any cold weather.

Latest posts