rottening stumps

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

over the past 3-4 years i have cut a few trees down around my pasture and have noticed that some of the stumps rot out fast and some don't, even of the same kind tree.

my question is, is there a time of year that you can cut trees and their stump will rot out quicker? maybe something to do with the sap?

thanks

gene

[email protected]

When our back pasture was cleared twenty years ago, it was all done in a couple of weeks. These were all oaks, mostly post oaks, ranging from 18 to 36 inches in diameter. To this day there are some that haven't rotted out, some have rotted to the point you can pop them out with a tractor buckets, others it takes a CAT and a deep hole to get to the roots.The standard answer I've gotten was, ""Yup, they'll do that".

dunmovin farms

over the past 3-4 years i have cut
> a few trees down around my pasture
> and have noticed that some of the
> stumps rot out fast and some
> don't, even of the same kind tree.

> my question is, is there a time of
> year that you can cut trees and
> their stump will rot out quicker?
> maybe something to do with the
> sap?

> thanks

> gene

I heard that if you cut groves into the top of the stump it would help it rot quicker. I tried it on a few stumps I had at the house and it seemed that it did help some. A year later, all but one came out without making a big hole. It worked best on pine tree stumps.

[email protected]

Definitive answer. It takes decay organisms to rot out wood. these organisms take air, moisture and a food source(wood), Plus the wood has to be infected. Some stumps will already be infected when the tree is cut, knot holes, broken limbs, chunks of missing bark, ect. A head start rotting out. other stumps are solid and healthy. Dishing a stump or slicing notches in it so it will hold a little water will help the organisms grow better and slices will also expose more of a cross section of the stump to the air which will also help the stuff to eat the stump.

[email protected]