Rotocarona-virus MLV

Help Support CattleToday:

J and L

Reaction score
For years we have used Pfizer Calf -guard, a MLV rota-coronavirus vaccine. Recently we have struggled with losing calves in as little as 8 hours after birth. All had meningitis symptoms. We systematically made changes to our calf handling procedures in an attempt to find the problem. Tissue samples from dead calves showed only rota- corona. 8 dead calves later (out of 12 born in 2 weeks) our last change was to stop using the rota-corona vaccine--- the problem disappeared. We skipped a number of calves and then started with a new package of the rota-corona and the problem started again. We sent a vaccine sample to the state lab to be culture but met with strong resistance-- the lab did not want to test it. Any ideas?
Jerry

Well, in theory, a modified live virus can mutate and really do damage - that's why a vaccine like Bovishield Gold (MLV) is only labeled for open cows OR pregnant cows that have been previously vaccinated per label instructions. It's because in theory that MLV could mutate and the unborn calf would then be exposed to a strain of a live BVD virus, or something along those lines - which could cause the cow to abort.

I guess you must have had some serious problems with rota-corona virus to be vaccinating all calves at birth? How are the calves doing that were NOT vaccinated while you were experimenting in an attempt to find the problem? If they're doing good I personally would be inclined to stop vaccinating calves. You've probably reached the same conclusion already though. LOL.

Off hand, I THINK you can compare boxes and see if they're from the same lot/shipment/etc. I think there should be a number on the box...perhaps by the expiration date? Using a new box of vaccines that's from the same lot as the last box that was causing trouble isn't going to do you a bit of good. I'd check numbers, and then call Pfizer on Monday and see where you can get with that. If you've used the stuff for years with no problems, perhaps there's a problem with that particular batch.

That's the only thing that comes to my mind right now. Hopefully that helps.

J and L":bkhtr2yk said:
For years we have used Pfizer Calf -guard, a MLV rota-coronavirus vaccine. Recently we have struggled with losing calves in as little as 8 hours after birth. All had meningitis symptoms. We systematically made changes to our calf handling procedures in an attempt to find the problem. Tissue samples from dead calves showed only rota- corona. 8 dead calves later (out of 12 born in 2 weeks) our last change was to stop using the rota-corona vaccine--- the problem disappeared. We skipped a number of calves and then started with a new package of the rota-corona and the problem started again. We sent a vaccine sample to the state lab to be culture but met with strong resistance-- the lab did not want to test it. Any ideas?
Jerry

Why not simply scour-guard your cows and the immunities are passed on to the calves via the colostrum?

Thanks for the input, We certainly are looking at the alternatives in order to get the imunities that we are looking for. Since Both boxes did have diferent lot # we will probably never go back to Calf Guard. We have had roto-carona problems in the past that showed up as digetive tract issues. Our theory here is that giving a LIVE vacine orally at birth allows the virus to easily enter the blood stream much the way the antibodies do from colostrum. Therfore the menangitis type problem which is very hard to treat.
Jerry

msscamp":2mrn9o1p said:
J and L":2mrn9o1p said:
Jerry

Why not simply scour-guard your cows and the immunities are passed on to the calves via the colostrum?

Very good advice msscamp! :)

J and L":2flaxamo said:
Since Both boxes did have diferent lot # we will probably never go back to Calf Guard. We have had roto-carona problems in the past that showed up as digetive tract issues. Our theory here is that giving a LIVE vacine orally at birth allows the virus to easily enter the blood stream much the way the antibodies do from colostrum. Therfore the menangitis type problem which is very hard to treat.
Jerry

Unless there was a problem at the manufacturer, which does not appear to be the case, different lot numbers have little, if anything, to do with it. Lot numbers are simply a way to track shipments. Rotocorona virus is a source of scours - otherwise known as digestive tract issues - as is e-coli, as is cryptosporidium, as are a couple of other things, as well as environmental factors. The thing I don't think you're taking into account is that a calf does not have any kind of a developed immuno system that can respond to a vaccine until he/she reaches about 3-4 months of age or thereabouts. To vaccinate a newborn calf is pretty much an act of folly, as well as a waste of the vaccine and possibly the calf, as you have discovered. However, vaccinate the cow and the immunities are passed on to the calf in a form that he/she can absorb and utilize through the colostrum and they will protect the calf from the virus. Just my thoughts.

Well...going to the actual label on Pfizer's calf guard...
http://www.pfizerah.com/PAHimages/compl ... liance.pdf

...the only comment I have is: incidence of scours among calves from vaccinated cows was HALF of what it was among vaccinated calves. Death loss was much lower than half from calves out of vaccinated cows vs calves vaccinated. IMO you'd be better off vaccinating the cows than the calves.

It does say that "Calf Guard significantly reduces incidence..." and "Because the disease has a variety of causes, the vaccine should not be expected to entirely eliminate its occurance." Always possible you're just having a run of bad luck. Weather over there any worse than normal? Cold nights, warm days, large fluctuations in temperature?

I have heard nothing but good reports about using Scourguard on the cows before calving. We used it this year for the first time and so far nothing but bright perky calves everday! :)

Great :roll: , I thought I would try Calf Guard this year. We are remodeling the barn so I didn't use Scourguard on the cows. I didn't have the headgate chute set up for giving shots. I've only bought four doses of the calf guard so far, haven't used any. First cow is due any day now. Guess I will only give the BO-SE shot and throw the Calf Guard out! We haven't had scour problems, just wanted to prevent having any.

We did feel that over the years we have gotten some protection from digestive tract problems but without a doubt, we can not deal with the other problems this vaccine is causing currently. Neurological problems in calves are very hard to treat succesfully. At least scours can be dealt with in a variety of ways. This is the lesser of two evils. So we would agree with what has been said, and that is to look for an alternative vaccination program.
Thanks all, Jerry and Linda

I used calf guard last year and had a rolling wreck with sick calves. I wont be using it again. This year I vaccinated all the cows with Guardian and haven't had one case of scours (knock on wood). Scour Guard requires two shots with the second one being at least two weeks before calving but no more than six weeks before calving. If the cow goes longer that six weeks you are supposed to give her another shot. My calving period is short but not that short. The Guardian is only the two shots, no third shot. that made it a lot easier to fit inot my program. To say that I have been pleased with it is an understatement.

Dave

We Scourguarded the herd one year, and didn't notice any appreciable difference in the average number of calves that we had to treat from years before without it.

Not saying that everyone would have such cruddy luck, but that's just what happened here, so we discontinued using it.

Take care.

ctlbaron,
Our vet was sure that the results fron the brain tissue samples from the first calf to die would include e-coli due to the severity of the sickness. the only thing present was roto-carona viruse.
Jerry

Latest posts