Rotational Grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
I'm convinced that rotational grazing is the way to go but now I have to convince my Dad -
he is hard headed - almost 70 - and oh did I also mention crazy busy with 8 chicken houses (the 2 of us do them together but he does all of the maintenance) so - I need help (ideas / evidence to present) - if I present it and he thinks on it a while - then it can become his idea and then it happens :roll:
Here is my idea, our farm is split into 2 main herds, the larger herd is on almost a square that is already split into 3 pastures and there is already a lane established that could be utilized to get to most of the divisions. I think this would be the place for us to use as a learning area. The perimeter and existing line fence is woven wire with barbed wire top. I'm thinking of temporary electric fence run dividing up the pastures. The cows are pretty laid back (Charolais) but they would have to attend electric fence 101. :shock:
I'm thinking that I need either 8 or 9 mini pastures so that right now in this drought condition the grass gets abt 60 days rest.

well now that I've gone on and on telling you less than you need to know - any ideas, hints - am I totally nuts like he thinks :help:

mdmdogs3":2ex0e8r8 said:
I'm convinced that rotational grazing is the way to go but now I have to convince my Dad -
he is hard headed - almost 70 - and oh did I also mention crazy busy with 8 chicken houses (the 2 of us do them together but he does all of the maintenance) so - I need help (ideas / evidence to present) - if I present it and he thinks on it a while - then it can become his idea and then it happens :roll:
Here is my idea, our farm is split into 2 main herds, the larger herd is on almost a square that is already split into 3 pastures and there is already a lane established that could be utilized to get to most of the divisions. I think this would be the place for us to use as a learning area. The perimeter and existing line fence is woven wire with barbed wire top. I'm thinking of temporary electric fence run dividing up the pastures. The cows are pretty laid back (Charolais) but they would have to attend electric fence 101. :shock:
I'm thinking that I need either 8 or 9 mini pastures so that right now in this drought condition the grass gets abt 60 days rest.

well now that I've gone on and on telling you less than you need to know - any ideas, hints - am I totally nuts like he thinks :help:

No you are not nuts. In fact rotational grazing for an operator with limited grass is an excellent idea.

It does involve some extra work and it does involve some extra planning and of course there is an additional expense. Perhaps this is the issue in his mind?

The expense may / may not actually pay itself off immediately - but it is a personal belief of mine that is it does pay off.

Having a couple of very staunch older parents myself, they can be stubborn.

Perhaps the best way to approach this would be to actually sit down and put it to paper and calculator. Show him the cost of grazng now and then show him the potential cost savings of dividing up the pastures.

You might take a few days of thought on this before you start - so keep a pencil and paper in your pocket to jot down your ideas as they come to you.

An additional benefit of this is the potential to hay some of the pastures if the grass manages to get ahead of the cows. And this does happen at times.

Be happy you still have this guy around - you will miss him when he is gone.

Have a nice day,

Bez?

mdmdogs3":13x96hr5 said:

I'm a big believer in intensive grazing. The Noble Foundation (http://www.noble.org ) has done a lot of work on it. You might just do an internet search and find research reports to discuss with your dad.

The number of paddocks and rest time will depend on how much rain you get and the type of forage. Normally (ha!), we give our native grass paddocks 30-60 days rest. But they'll not regrow in 90 or 100 days if we don't get some rain.

There is a learning curve. You have to learn about your grass and your cows. You have to spend some time walking around and evaluating forage growth and grazing habits of your herd. But, IMO, it will be worth it in the longer run. Good luck....

I've done some internet reading and printed a couple of articles for Dad to look at - I really appreciate the actual people that use it encouraging me...

in a "normal" year - would 9 mini pastures be a good number to start with?
I realize that depending on the grass/cows/weather everything can change

this year with it raining only .25 or .50 inches once a month to sort of keep the grass only dormant rather than dead...
our "sea level" chicken house well was barely able to limp along when we had big chickens and it was 100 outside (normal year lots of water left over) - can we say low water table????

IMO a good rotational grazing system is one of the most cost effective management tools a cattleman can use. However, it is much more than building cross fencing and rotating cattle. Learning the basic principles of grass growth, nutrition & rotational grazing are very crucial to success. Without learning these principles, attempting rotational grazing could be an exercise in futility.

I would highly recommend attending either the Linneus Mo. grazing school or the Noble Foundation grazing school. If your main forage is fescue the Missouri school may be a better fit, whereas if bermudagrass is your main forage the Noble school would probably be the best. Both teach the basics about management intensive grazing (MIG), which are applicable to any type forage. However, IMO you will probably better relate to the school which uses the type forage you are familiar with.

For the Missouri school info check out this link.

http://agebb.missouri.edu/mfgc/schools.htm

For the Noble school in Ardmore Ok, check out this link.

http://www.noble.org/Press_Release/Ag/e ... l2006.html

I read about MIG a number of years before we implemented it. My husband was against it. One spring I wanted to get the cows on pasture but he thought it was too wet. So I used polywire and subdivided the pasture. Turned the cows on the first paddock. 3 days later husband said, "see? I told you it's too wet to have them on pasture." So I fenced off another paddock in that field and moved them. Did that a couple weeks until it was 'dry enough' to put them on pasture but by then my husband saw the regrowth on the first paddocks and saw MIG could work for us. That summer we had a dry spell and used one paddock as a sacrifice lot. When neighbors, friends, and business associates started commenting to my husband about how we had the only green pastures around, he was sold on it.

I will say that if I don't get the pastures subdivided, and we use a lot of temporary subdivisions to accomodate varying sizes of groups, that our management part of MIG is the first to slide. My husband just can't add 1 more thing to his workload, it sounds like you will be in that situation with your father.

We currently have 3 groups of cattle grazing, 2 groups of cows with a bull in each group, 1 group of summer yearlings with a few late, old cows we're calving out then splitting the pairs to sell. Our cattle are grouped in 2 main groups through the winter, mature cows and yearlings. As they calve they are moved to another group, based on age of cow and then later regrouped for which bull to rebreed, and maybe a few regrouped to get the 2 year olds back together after breeding until fall when they go into the mature cow group after weaning. We do this to maximize the use of pasture, and maximize the growth of the cattle through the use of the pasture.

Check out Stockman Grassfarmer on the web, they will send you a free issue, Some of theirs stuff that they push is kinda out there to say the least, but a lot of it makes perfect sense. I learn something new every month. I've been doing the rotational or Management intensive grazing as it is sometimes called and I can run a pair per acre straight through the season. The season is longer now as well. We used to hay part of it, but I let the cows do the harvesting now. We have pasture 7 months out of the year in Northern Indiana, and it is good pasture. We were the only cattle outfit in our county not to be feeding hay during the drought last summer. Needless to say, I am a believer. Good luck. Mac.

Latest posts