Rotational Grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

AldacoCattle

Reaction score
For a while I have been wanting to get started on rotational grazing! We have about 15 head on 40 acres! I want to split it into 2 paddocks with an electric polywire fence. My question is how would I train my cattle into respecting the polywire? Do I just put it down and expect them to know not to touch it? We are pretty new to this and we are learning as we go! Thank you in advance for all your help!

I attached some pictures of the the grass that we have.
D0F5720E-BF61-4953-B4E6-B76E6285C9CE.png893ED962-09B8-4F0C-BC2A-1F20CD22E71E.png

Nice flat open country, it should be easy to divide. Yes I would aim at 8-10 divisions. Water of course will be your limiting factor until you get that set up. As long as you have a good earth they will quickly learn to respect the fence.
Your land would be suitable to plant some winter forage crops in some sections like oats or rye.

Ken

For a while I have been wanting to get started on rotational grazing! We have about 15 head on 40 acres! I want to split it into 2 paddocks with an electric polywire fence. My question is how would I train my cattle into respecting the polywire? Do I just put it down and expect them to know not to touch it? We are pretty new to this and we are learning as we go! Thank you in advance for all your help!

I attached some pictures of the the grass that we have.
View attachment 786View attachment 787
Our cows took 3-4 tries for them to get the hang of it. We are using a 4 joule system and it's holding back a herd of over 100 head. We have our permanent perimeter fence which we tie one poly rope behind where they already grazed and 2 ropes in front where they will graze the next day.

We rotational graze about 10 pairs plus a couple heifers on a similar amount of acres. We have 2 main pastures and we split the larger of the 2 with electric fence as we usually bale 1 cutting of hay off the half we plan to graze last then by the time we are ready to graze it has grown back. Electric fence never will do as well of a job as a permanent fence will and we also have deer that don't respect either type of fence and can run right through an electric fence too. Have found that cows usually respect the electric fence as long as they have plenty of grass to eat then once it starts to get eaten down then they start grazing the fence lines more and all it takes is for 1 to lean up and snap a wire or push up against a post to create an opening for the rest of the herd to follow them into where they should not be.

I would break it up into 6 to 8 paddocks (8 would be better). Rotating every 3 to 4 days would give you the same rest period as a good hay cutting. The smaller the paddock the better the manure distribution. Your biggest proble will be to arrange the paddock to be able to get water.

We rotational graze about 10 pairs plus a couple heifers on a similar amount of acres. We have 2 main pastures and we split the larger of the 2 with electric fence as we usually bale 1 cutting of hay off the half we plan to graze last then by the time we are ready to graze it has grown back. Electric fence never will do as well of a job as a permanent fence will and we also have deer that don't respect either type of fence and can run right through an electric fence too. Have found that cows usually respect the electric fence as long as they have plenty of grass to eat then once it starts to get eaten down then they start grazing the fence lines more and all it takes is for 1 to lean up and snap a wire or push up against a post to create an opening for the rest of the herd to follow them into where they should not be.
I'm thinking that's what we're going to do! I'm going to start by dividing into 2 pastures and go from there! Thank you!

Two paddocks is better than 1 - but not much. Cattle should never be allowed to stay on the same piece of ground for more than 7 days. After 7 days, there is re-growth. Cattle prefer the re-growth and that hurts the plants. Each paddock should rest for 30 days (I guess that depends on location?). That is why most recommended 8 paddocks. 8 x 4 = 32 days.
With 40 acres, you are looking at 5 acre paddocks - which should be good for 15 head (15 cow/ calf pairs or 15 total?) If water is a problem, you can have the water at 1 location with permanent fencing around it for catching, and pie shape your paddocks from that 1 location,.
Don't be scared away from electric fencing. I have been using 1 strand polywire to control my herd for maybe 25-30 years. I run around 50 momma cows. I do have lots of permanent large paddocks that I sub-divide. But, until you have done rotational grazing for a while, it is difficult to make the decision as to WHERE you want permanent fencing. My cattle are so broke to polywire, my nephew & I can take a reel - 1 holding the reel & 1 holding the end of the wire and bring the whole herd in or separate 1 or several head at a time to bring in for breeding or whatever needed.

Two paddocks is better than 1 - but not much. Cattle should never be allowed to stay on the same piece of ground for more than 7 days. After 7 days, there is re-growth. Cattle prefer the re-growth and that hurts the plants. Each paddock should rest for 30 days (I guess that depends on location?). That is why most recommended 8 paddocks. 8 x 4 = 32 days.
With 40 acres, you are looking at 5 acre paddocks - which should be good for 15 head (15 cow/ calf pairs or 15 total?) If water is a problem, you can have the water at 1 location with permanent fencing around it for catching, and pie shape your paddocks from that 1 location,.
Don't be scared away from electric fencing. I have been using 1 strand polywire to control my herd for maybe 25-30 years. I run around 50 momma cows. I do have lots of permanent large paddocks that I sub-divide. But, until you have done rotational grazing for a while, it is difficult to make the decision as to WHERE you want permanent fencing. My cattle are so broke to polywire, my nephew & I can take a reel - 1 holding the reel & 1 holding the end of the wire and bring the whole herd in or separate 1 or several head at a time to bring in for breeding
Never mind-got my brain turned back on...

Last edited:
Don't be scared away from electric fencing. I have been using 1 strand polywire to control my herd for maybe 25-30 years. I run around 50 momma cows. I do have lots of permanent large paddocks that I sub-divide. But, until you have done rotational grazing for a while, it is difficult to make the decision as to WHERE you want permanent fencing. My cattle are so broke to polywire, my nephew & I can take a reel - 1 holding the reel & 1 holding the end of the wire and bring the whole herd in or separate 1 or several head at a time to bring in for breeding or whatever needed.
I think that's where I'm having trouble. Our water source is all the way to one corner. I like the "pie" shape. It's 15 total. 7 cow/calf pairs and our herd bull, we're just starting out. I've noticed since it's not too many of them they always graze the same spot that's why I want to start rotating them. Thank you for the advice! 🙏🏽

Attachments

• 1711F012-69E1-452D-A47A-CE1DF9E92E20.jpeg
    1711F012-69E1-452D-A47A-CE1DF9E92E20.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 11
I think that's where I'm having trouble. Our water source is all the way to one corner. I like the "pie" shape. It's 15 total. 7 cow/calf pairs and our herd bull, we're just starting out. I've noticed since it's not too many of them they always graze the same spot that's why I want to start rotating them. Thank you for the advice! 🙏🏽
You might have to use an alley down the side and rotate in the areas off the alley. Use the alley to access the water .

To train cattle to rope wire run stub line at right angle to fence , 50 -60' will do. If you are running 15 head on 40 acres and two lots you are headed
for a train wreck. Two lots is not rotationa grazing. It is two pastures. Even with adequate rain grass will need 30 to 40 days to recover on a eat half
leave half basis. Of course if you can afford to haul feed to them any system is doable until the train comes along.......

To train cattle to rope wire run stub line at right angle to fence , 50 -60' will do. If you are running 15 head on 40 acres and two lots you are headed
for a train wreck. Two lots is not rotationa grazing. It is two pastures. Even with adequate rain grass will need 30 to 40 days to recover on a eat half
leave half basis. Of course if you can afford to haul feed to them any system is doable until the train comes along.......
My best bet will be to do 6-8 paddocks and just run an alley at the end of the pasture so they can access water!

Aldaco > I believe you know (without my input) what is not working. To help you down a path that works for you
I recommend you subscribe to GRASSLAND FARMER magazine. Whilst every article (or issue) may not apply to your
particular circumstance you will find gemstones of information that if used, will result in positive changes for you.
There are no doubt, other good sources of information (including Cattle Today!) Just remember to keep iron and oil
from getting between the sun and the grass. Have a good year...

Another good resource: https://www.grazeonline.com/

Don't buy everything you read, anywhere, as gospel. Allen Nation and Stockman Grass Farmer have given some really bad advice, particularly to dairy graziers, in the past - with disastrous results. If you drink anyone's koolaid, you're at risk of failing. If cows look like they're starving, don't just double down. Like LVR said... you may find a gem here and there in SGF, but everything touted may not work for you.

You might have to use an alley down the side and rotate in the areas off the alley. Use the alley to access the water .
this is what I was going to suggest .....using an alley rather than a pie shape....often the far ends of pie slices do not get grazed evenly and the close ends are abused. the more paddocks you have and the more often you move them the better your grass will be. avoid over grazing and allow the paddocks plenty of rest....amount of rest needed depends on your environment... if the alley is much longer than about 800 feet the biggest thing you will see is that the whole herd will go to water together.....so you have to make sure the supply is adequate......for shorter distances individual cows will go to water when they are thirsty....we used to have a four or five acres woodlot and the water trough was in the sun about a 100 yards away.....I use to watch cows all day long walking over individually and getting a drink and then back to the shade.....when they were on another part of the farm they had to go much further and the whole herd went to water about twice per day....

Rotational grazing is an excellent concept but it has limits - in my region that is rainfall and water supply.
There is not much I can do about rainfall.
However, I began rotational grazing and followed some advice about bringing water to my cattle. This may work for some, but after a couple years I found I started to see foot, leg, hip issues. After research and asking for advice one solution I centered on was moving to a central water source with an alley system that requires my cows to walk and I believe that has helped. Cattle are made to walk.

Others may detest my now rather well worn cow path up to the yard -- but I've run some calculations and that still seems cheaper than hoof trimming and lame cows.

But may main point -- like others above -- is that rotational grazing is an excellent tool -- but you will need to manage it to fit your specific operation.

Latest posts