Rotational Grazing/MiG leasing

Help Support CattleToday:

southernblues

Reaction score
I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on leasing pasture and rotationally grazing? I FEEL like I should offer more $$ (possibly per head per month vs standard per acre) as the stocking rate will be at least double. However, hopefully the management of MiG will improve the pasture, increasing the value of landowner's investment.

No,
That your going to manage the pasture well if your own affair. Hopefully, the owner will see the value in what your doing but I wouldn't count on it.

southernblues":3ef4r4qi said:
I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on leasing pasture and rotationally grazing? I FEEL like I should offer more $$ (possibly per head per month vs standard per acre) as the stocking rate will be at least double. However, hopefully the management of MiG will improve the pasture, increasing the value of landowner's investment.

Keep in mind "MIG" is just that: management intensive. You will be spending more time than if you had just dumped X head of cattle on Y number of acres. I would offer just what it takes to get the land, and see if that pencils out for you.

But leasing for rotational grazing make sure you have a WRITTEN lease that specifies what happens to your improvements (water, fences, etc) when you give up the land. I add in the written rental agreement that if I lose the land, the owner or next renter will purchase the improvements from me at their then current value. Good luck.

Jim

Jim,

Not to sound cross, but do you lose many opportunities with that language in the contract? Albeit no deal is better than a bad deal, but for me that wouldn't go over too well. There are just too many fat pockets that keep landowners from seeing past the end of the month.

chukar":2q84fm0a said:
Jim,

Not to sound cross, but do you lose many opportunities with that language in the contract? Albeit no deal is better than a bad deal, but for me that wouldn't go over too well. There are just too many fat pockets that keep landowners from seeing past the end of the month.

No not at all. I write it in letter form and don't get attorneys involved. Just write a simple letter saying what our verbal agreement is, how much is the rent, when it is to be paid, the length of the lease and add a sentence saying that I will maintain existing fences but any temporary improvements I make will be removed at lease termination with permanent improvements such as water being agreed upon before installation and to be paid for at then current value if/when the lease terminates.

This just makes sense. If a landlord won't sign something as simple as this I feel it is too risky to rent his land. I apply fertilizer, lime, interseed, fix old fences, mow roadsides and improve any land I rent. A good landlord will sign a simple letter like that in return. I don't want to rent from a person who is just looking for the highest bidder. He will rent it out from under you as soon as you increase the value with your improvements and maintenance. A good landlord will see the value to both parties in writing things down.

If a person will not put our verbal agreements in writing and sign my letter I don't want the financial risk of renting from him.

A written agreement letter signed by and copies to both parties is just good business.

Jim

Latest posts