Rotational Grazing - another benefit...

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
Lots has been written about the benefits of rotational grazing.

One of the benefits that I have not heard mentioned is the entertainment value of watching the herd enter some new good grass in the next pasture rotation!

I moved the cattle (herefords) in early evening tonight as I try to do and it was hilarious seeing 1200 lb cows prancing/jumping around like calves when they saw the new grass! And the calves take off and run around together like a bunch of kids at a family reunion.

They stuffed themselves for awhile then come over to see me where I was fixing some fence. It was fun - until one of them decided she wanted to lick my coffee cup in the Ranger's holder! I'm all for having fun - but don't mess with my coffee cup!

A beautiful evening.

One of the frustrations isn;t mentioned very often either. Every time they hear/see you putting in a temp fence they hang around and beller and follow up and down the fence as you put up the temp.

cows love running though pastures they havent been in in awhile.i bet it was a sight to watch them running an bucking in the pasture.

dun":1bng1hxl said:
One of the frustrations isn;t mentioned very often either. Every time they hear/see you putting in a temp fence they hang around and beller and follow up and down the fence as you put up the temp.

all it takes for mine is for them to hear me hammering on steel. They think I'm driving electric fence posts and they come running. That and starting the tractor after I put the first hay bales of the year out.

I like to watch the cows hit a patch of fresh clover, then take off running like a kid at Christmas because they think there is something better someplace else.

My cows also can't wait to turn them into a new pasture. I used to use Cowboy Helpers ( Range Cubes) but now they just follow me to the next pasture with me beating an empty bag of Cowboy Helper. :banana:

The only real problem I have is getting young calves across the pavement.

Last week I put them back on the flood plain and didn't even get the cubes out. All I really needed to do was get the heck out of the way. They busted out of the gate and into the next gate so fast there was no way to count how many head. I just looked to see if the previous pastures were empty. They didn't even hang near the truck for cubes, the were off to the clover or coastal.

Central Fl Cracker":9hs31xg1 said:
My cows also can't wait to turn them into a new pasture. I used to use Cowboy Helpers ( Range Cubes) but now they just follow me to the next pasture with me beating an empty bag of Cowboy Helper. :banana:

Ours are so used to the white step in posts for the poly wire that all I have to do is stand at a gate and wave the post over head then get out of the way. They'll follow me all the way across a pasture as long as I have the stick. Makes me feel like the pied piper of lebanon

bigbull338":2rl8d9t0 said:
cows love running though pastures they havent been in in awhile.i bet it was a sight to watch them running an bucking in the pasture.

"Bucking" was the word I was looking for to describe their jumping for joy. Really amazing to see a 1200 lb cow bucking out of sheer joy!

I also see that when they hear certain sounds or see my truck they come running up to a gate - sometimes before I can open it get through and close it again.

Hard to enjoy a cup of coffee after a cow has licked it! Ah well, will probably survive.

SRBeef":i07n960l said:
bigbull338":i07n960l said:

"Bucking" was the word I was looking for to describe their jumping for joy. Really amazing to see a 1200 lb cow bucking out of sheer joy!

I also see that when they hear certain sounds or see my truck they come running up to a gate - sometimes before I can open it get through and close it again.

Hard to enjoy a cup of coffee after a cow has licked it! Ah well, will probably survive.

They can surely kick up their heels and beller when they are feeling good. It seems that once one of them gets started they all join in.

backhoeboogie":21q6iykl said:
They can surely kick up their heels and beller when they are feeling good. It seems that once one of them gets started they all join in.

I get a little concerned when the 12 year old does it, not so much for the 10 and younger. Ol Granny just plods faster, but at 18 I don;t expect her to kick her heels very high anyway.

jkwilson":2b0lnjwk said:
...I like to watch the cows hit a patch of fresh clover, then take off running like a kid at Christmas because they think there is something better someplace else.

That's funny, I always compair them to a bunch of kids taking off for an easter egg hunt. :lol2:

It seems they all want to be the first one to where ever it is that they think they are headed to, problem is, none of them have any ideal what they are running around looking for, but they all want to be the first one there.

jkwilson":2l9xdg4k said:
and starting the tractor after I put the first hay bales of the year out.

Once we start using the tractor for hay, the come running from the farthest corners.LOL Even for several weeks after stopping hay, they come running to the sound of the tractor.

It always cracks me up to watch the cows buck-jumping around when changing pastures. I expect it from the younger set, but when the older ones get going, with full udders flapping in the breeze thats a sight.

Katherine

Mine usually resembles a cafeteria lunch line. The first ones stop at the gate and start eating. The rest start pushing from the back. Then they get the idea and start running all over.

Latest posts