Rotary Rake

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
Saw a guy loading metal to scrap down the road a couple weeks ago. He was about to load a frontier-RR1012 rake. Talked him out of it for $25.

The gearbox part has been ran out of oil i can only assume. Gears are chewed up and cast casing has a 2" triangle busted from the inside out. Found a guy who can weld it closed for a little of nothing.

Pretty sure i can get gears and such through the JD dealer. Assuming i can get it going for no more than $1500, would y'all fool with it? I have never used one. Our current rake is a 3 point 4 wheel rake.

The rest of the rake is in good shape. Missing a bolt here and there. Pretty much complete though.

We borrow a rotary rake from a neighbor when we do the sorghum/sudan that is real tall as the wheel rake and the side delivery rake just won't pick it up. I am no mechanic, but I would think that it would be worth fixing if it is not too much output of money and more some of your time. Gotta like doing that sort of stuff though. They do a real good job of raking if they are working right.

farmerjan":37wqxq72 said:
We borrow a rotary rake from a neighbor when we do the sorghum/sudan that is real tall as the wheel rake and the side delivery rake just won't pick it up. I am no mechanic, but I would think that it would be worth fixing if it is not too much output of money and more some of your time. Gotta like doing that sort of stuff though. They do a real good job of raking if they are working right.

Mind running this by again? I have a really trying time with tall sorghum/sudan. Interested if you use one as may be implied here and how the workings differ for that crop in particular. I have seen pictures of raking bermuda so I have an idea how they differ from a tedder, but not much. I have the tedder and both basket and parallel bar rakes.

Thanks.

We do use the rotary rake. At least that is what my son calls it. It has several arms that have what looks like a manure fork of tines and as it comes around it drops down, rakes the crop and then folds up and back, as it goes around the circle, leaving the "raked crop" in a windrow. I know I am not explaining it very good. I used it for the first time last year and it was neat. The tines seem to have no trouble picking up the long sorghum/sudan grass, and depositing it neatly in the windrow. The old side delivery rake just can't handle it and the long stuff gets tangled up in the wheel rake. The one we have has 7 wheels on a side and it worked good for 2nd cutting to put a couple of rows together but it gets clogged with any hay that is less than dry. The rotary worked real good for the wetter sorghum/sudan that we wanted to bale and wrap. Don't know if they have any videos on it but it really works good. We have talked about investing in one if we can find one decent used. They aren't cheap.

I bought a Stoll rotatory rake off of Cl a few years ago. I think it is a model R 335. It has 10 sets of rake teeth. With one pin they come off the shaft and store upright, so it can be stored only taking about 8' of width. I couldn't believe what they cost new!

The one I bought was like new. They had it set up to bale alfalfa. I looked it over, gave her her asking price and she said "he" would help me load it the next evening.

I came with a trailer, he had a backhoe. He set it on my trailer and left. Never said a word to me, even when I tried to be pleasant with him. As I was anchoring it to the trailer I was questioning his attitude. Then it dawned on me, they must be in the middle of a divorce and selling things. She sold it for $700!

Latest posts