Rotary hoe for aeration

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
Anyone used one for reducing compaction in pastures? I have some spots where we ran the dozer last fall, and where the truck drives a lot that is very compacted and grass doesn't grow well. Wil this work? I'm sure the ground has to be half way soft for it to do anything. We have one setting in the shed that very seldom gets used.( only thing we use it for is when fresh planted soybeans get crusted in by a rain)
I can run it on a 18" track tractor to help with the compaction. Also thought about a anhydrous knife applicator, only problem being it is 40' wide, wouldn't be able to get to all the spots needed

Hay King (brand) pasture renovator. Wink! I run 4 shanks about 8-10" deep with 65 hp on 6' wide pattern. Mine was $1500 new from my local JD dealer about 6 years ago. Was utterly amazed at:
1. The results of using it
2. How well it's built
3. JD dealership selling it for what it sold for

If you are on a hill, contour usage of it is a super way to upgrade pastures. If Bermuda, it not only aerates the soil with minimum surface disturbance, catching the runoff and holding it, both water and fert., the coulters cut the shoots and every nodule makes a new plant. Super for worn out fields...with the help of a little rain and fert.

Thanks much for the reply's. That's what I was afraid of. What about the applicator? I could always leave it folded up, just won't be able to get very close to trees

Tbrake":1ioefyqv said:
Thanks much for the reply's. That's what I was afraid of. What about the applicator? I could always leave it folded up, just won't be able to get very close to trees

may work, need to dig a hole with a spade to determine where the compaction layer is. Then need to get a couple of inches below it. A straight shank subsoiler leg with wings that lift do the best job. But only when the ground is dry and will crack. If used when the soil is wet the metal will smear the soil and increase the compaction.

Deep rooted plants like radish can break the compaction without using steel and fuel.

Research at UT was not kind (detrimental) from about 10 to 12 years ago. Better off trying tillage radishes or sudan/sorghum. Theory is the same as a sheepsfoot roller without the balls on the end of the spikes. But people like to run them.

one of the best pastures I ever seen they had took a dozer with a big ripper that would rip at least 3 foot deep and ripped it about every 4 or 5 foot. I squirrel hunted the place only one time but the bermuda grass was great in it.

Can radishes be spread with and success on existing grass that has been grazed short? I'm gonna frost seed clover later this winter and could do some radish also.

kenny thomas":1fkm9twb said:
Can radishes be spread with and success on existing grass that has been grazed short? I'm gonna frost seed clover later this winter and could do some radish also.
They will frost kill and freeze out. Use them in the fall or maybe in your area you could use them in the spring: I don't know.

Ebenezer":2cleo43k said:
kenny thomas":2cleo43k said:
They will frost kill and freeze out. Use them in the fall or maybe in your area you could use them in the spring: I don't know.
Do you think I could do any good spreading them in early March? I normally turn out on grass by April 5th.

kenny thomas":27y6cjr2 said:
Ebenezer":27y6cjr2 said:
kenny thomas":27y6cjr2 said:
Do you think I could do any good spreading them in early March? I

I have this same question. We spread allot of tillage radishes for cover crops on farm ground. But have never on pasture. Will they be able to take root on compacted pasture ground?

Tbrake":68c76zx3 said:
kenny thomas":68c76zx3 said:
Ebenezer":68c76zx3 said:
Do you think I could do any good spreading them in early March? I

I have this same question. We spread allot of tillage radishes for cover crops on farm ground. But have never on pasture. Will they be able to take root on compacted pasture ground?
Adding to this, I can feed on this area in late winter then pull the cows off, spread the seed then pull a chain drag over the area to get soil contact.

Latest posts