ROPS

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
Does anybody know where you can find plans on how to build your own ROPS? Something pretty simple but safe. We have an older John Deere 4020 and an older Ford 9N we would like to have some roll over protection for.

Kelly I know this is probably not what you want to hear,but I would not recomend building your own ROPS. They are designed to take the entire weight of the tractor rolling onto them without failing. If you are a master welder & fabricator maybe,even then this is something you are counting on with your life. I know the cost of a ROPS is high but there were quite a few 4020's that had them,so you may be able to find a good one in a tractor scrap yard for a reasonable amount. The little Ford I'm not sure on. I know Tractor Supply used to sell them. There is another web site called Yesterdays Tractors that has boards like this one for each brand of tractors. I would suggest trying the Ford board there to see what those guys say. Good Luck.

I made my own for my ford 4000, out of 9 gage 2x4 tube.
With a 1/2" base plate. If you can put down some good welds.
I see why you shouldn't be able to do this you self.
Anything is better than nothing. Just don't forget the seatbelt

skyeagle":12uklvop said:
I made my own for my ford 4000, out of 9 gage 2x4 tube.
With a 1/2" base plate. If you can put down some good welds.
I see why you shouldn't be able to do this you self.
Anything is better than nothing. Just don't forget the seatbelt

I believe the first answer from Chuck is the best one.

Angular forces are the real threat in most roll overs - unless you have calculated the forces against the steel you are using, along with the type of steel, size of tubing and welds - you may be asking for trouble.

A ROPS with 2 X 4 9 guage MAY be appropriate - but if it occurs at high speed with a heavy trailing load - forward momentum can easily exceed the capability of the ROPS - and if you are NOT a welder of note (not saying you are / are not) - tempting someone to take a short cut on safety equipment might not be the way to go.

Kelly - Have a look around - there are protective devices available and if you start with a dealer of used equipment you might be surprized where you might find what you are looking for.

Bez!

At one time JohnDeere had a special program for fitting ROPS on 4020's. That was a few years ago and may be too late now.Check with a dealer and see if it's still avalable.

Kelly":bftdzdy4 said:
Does anybody know where you can find plans on how to build your own ROPS? Something pretty simple but safe. We have an older John Deere 4020 and an older Ford 9N we would like to have some roll over protection for.

Try Wengers of Myerstown