Ropin'

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie

Reaction score
Who all slings a noose on the ranch? I can do the reverse hoolahand, or the frisbee toss which ever you want to call it. Works well for real wet babies. Wish I could do better though.

You mean a noose like this one, Ollie?

RanchHorseVersitility189.jpg
[/img]

I keep a lariat in the pickup but rarely need it and most of the time it's in the way of something. Then I'll put it up. Then I'll need it the next day. Don't keep any horses so any roping I do is on foot. Not any good off a horse anyway. Well, to be honest, not that great on foot, but can usually get a loop over what I need to catch.

Craig-TX

Ollie - I can throw a rope a bit - but there are so many that are better - even the kids out do me.

When we help the folks work cattle, I generally do the ground work - saves me embarrassing myself!

I'm the fastest vaccinater / bander / cutter / dehorner in the west!

:lol:

Bez

I don't do to bad, when no one is watching. But am far from a cowboy. Heck I'm just a hobby farmer by most ya'lls standards. Check cows on horseback and catch calves to doctor them off the horse. Got a good horse, he has more cow sence than I do.

certherfbeef":2msrgp42 said:

[/img]
You see cert if the calf runs through the loop like that one did I can rope them. It's when they run under it or to the side of it that I miss them.

ollie":3nvvjs8i said:
certherfbeef":3nvvjs8i said:

[/img]
You see cert if the calf runs through the loop like that one did I can rope them. It's when they run under it or to the side of it that I miss them.

If I could get them inside a fancy building like that why would I want/need to rope them?

dun

I wish I could rope well. I can get it where I want it if I REALLY focus on the release, if I try to rush it or try to be fancy when practicing in the backyard (man does that get the looks from the neihbors) is when I miss really bad. I'm usually close, range magots made good practice this past summer!

Can anyone teach how to do this over the computer? Have always admired anyone who can throw a rope but am totally clueless as to how to do it. Love the picture. :D

Farmhand":ru7vi9by said:
Can anyone teach how to do this over the computer? Have always admired anyone who can throw a rope but am totally clueless as to how to do it. Love the picture. :D

It all starts with a good horse...

When I was a teenager and butting heads with my Dad, I'd just go outside and rope the sawhorse (spent quite a few hours working out my bone-headedness with the rope rather than in the house). Good way to learn consistancy and nice to practice on a still target before advancing to the stock. Just nail a short stick flat across one end and you've got a horned dummy to practice on.

If you don't know anyone personally that ropes, I've seen some fairly decent videos in the tackstores on learning how to do it. Maybe somebody can recommend one to you.

Between Honey's three and my three kidlings we have a great time whiling away summer evenings on a couple of sawhorses with our ropes.

Ollie, I learned to throw the hoolihan a couple years back, but mostly use it if I've got to rope a colt. Seems like after the timing, the key is not to jerk your slack too soon... at least that's how it's been for me.

One of my favourite neighbours received a ranch roping video for Christmas last year from his wife (they rope their calves same as we do in the spring, and he's an old team-roper at heart, so it was the perfect gift for him). We watched it with them a couple times last winter, and sure really enjoyed the way those boys could make their shots.

One in particular that Honey and I have been trying to get down pat is where you throw a kind of hoolihan over the back of the animal, figure-eights over their hip and still get a set of double hocks. Kind of hard for me to explain, but sure is fancy to see....especially at the distances those boys were making their throws from.

Take care.

CattleAnnie":3bmsic5l said:
Ollie, I learned to throw the hoolihan a couple years back, but mostly use it if I've got to rope a colt.
Annie , I said the reverse hoolihan . I never could through the hoolihan. The reverse of a hoolihan in my estimation looks like a frisbee toss. Just pitch the rope over the calfs head. :D Actually I rope what I have too , much like Craig on foot . Usually get it done somehow.

I actually have a saddle that I won team roping. But I haven't been going to them for the last few years. On Saturday I chased a little calf around trying to give him a pill, I must have missed him 10 or 12 times before I finally caught him. Good thing nobody was there to witness it. My old roping partners would still be laughing.

Embarrassing

Dave

Dave

You have just proved what I have always believed. Some skills and items are perishable.

There once was a time when I was pretty good - well, at least as good as the average hand. Put it up for many years and now ......

Well, I leave it to those who are "current".

Regards,

Bez

i guess i fall in there with ollie and craig... dont have need to rope much..

and dont want it :lol:

jt

certherfbeef":2845c7nj said:
Farmhand":2845c7nj said:

It all starts with a good horse...

I agee, Roping is 95% the horse, the rest is left up to you. I started team roping and love it. Remember when throwing a loop use a contiual motion and release with your hand strait in front of you. Dont throw the rope, just release it, the momentum of the twirling and release of the slack will throw your loop. And twirl your rope to the side not over your head, and have plent of wrist and elbow action. After you have caught the calf if you are heading you need to tighten up on the slack, keep your thumb up so you won't lose it and quickly dally your rope around the saddle horn. I feel like I am learning from the best. A guy that has been roping for over 20 years and is a class 4, he also puts on his own money ropin's twice a month.

Latest posts