Rope halter

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks, Dun.

Going to save that link to the favourites, as my kidlings just lost two of their steers rope halters.

(Bet if they walked up to their 'forts' in the bush, they might actually rediscover them...but if they won't snoop around hard enough they can darn well tie some new ones). ;-)

Take care.

Well, here's some instructions, but the pics didn't show up.
See if it makes sense to you.

MAKING A ROPE HALTER

These plans will make a halter for a 500 - 1000lb steer.
You will need 12' of 3/8" rope.
1.) Mark 16" from one end of the rope.
2.) Lay the rope with the short end to your right.
3.) Make a loop with a 1/2" opening have the 16" mark at the center of the loop. Keep the short end above the long end.
4.) Pass the long end under 1 strand and over 2 strands of the short end, as close to the loop as possible, pull it tight.(Don't pull your loop closed). (A) Keep the rope flat on a table. Next pass the short end under 1 strand and over 2 strands of the long end, as close to the last weave you made as possible, pull it tight.Keep the rope flat on a table.(B),(C)
(A) (B) (C)
5.) Measure from the end of the loop back 6" on the short end of the rope and mark it.
6.) Have the loop on your left and the long end above the short end.
7.)Keeping the rope flat on a table. Lift the first strand up past the mark. Twist it counter clockwise 1/2 turn.(D)
(D) (E)
From above pass the long end down through the loop. (E) Keeping the rope flat on a table. Take the next strand twist it counter clockwise 1/2 turn and put the long end up through the loop. Keep the rope flat on a table. Then twist the next strand counter clockwise 1/2 turn and pass the long end down through the loop. (G),(H)
(G) (H)
8.) Put a hog ring as close to the last loop as possible. Then cut off the extra rope. I didn't have any hog rings at the time we took these pictures, so I couldn't show it on the halter.
9.) Pass the long end through the first loop you made. (I)
(I)
Your done!!
These plans will make a nice poly halter.

Did anyone save the pdf file that was at dun's link?
It's not available anymore :(
If so would you e-mail it to me.

Jovid":5i9yl2ti said:
I prefer just to buy them at $3.00 a halter.
I make our own halters & neck ties because I want them in our "farm colors" - so I buy a 600' roll of our color.
But, for the price of halters, yes, I buy them a dozen at a time to go with the sale cattle, instead of sending them off with our made halters.

It used to be required that you had to be able to splice a rope halter in 4-H and the FFA. Its one of those good things to know. We had 8 ot 10 in the feed room that we made when we were kids. It is hard to find instructions anymore. It is cheaper to buy them than to spend the time making one.

For those that make them.
What is your favorite material and size?
Poly, sisal, nylon? 3/8, 1/2, 3/4?
Jeanne you use 3/8 poly right?
Making plans for the 3 nieces (10,12 & 12)for this summer.
This should keep them busy telling each other how they are doing it wrong, for a couple of hours anyway.
After the new wears off and they are tired of climbing the mountian, swimming in the creek, tending the garden,fishing, etc.
Jovid past experience tells me to keep them outta town.
A stop for a $3 halter at the feed store turns into an all day shopathon that can cost more than I care to reveal.
Is it in a womens blood to be able to adapt to the shopping enviroment available. These girls have NO daily contact with country life and yet get them in the isles and everything must be ranked and compared. Even when they have no idea what they are holding or what they are comparing it too.

Don't know how YOU know, but yes, I use 3/8 poly - red with yellow tracer.
I don't even remember typing that info, let alone, how in the world you could REMEMBER I said it!!! Must be a major difference in age :shock: :D

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2n9lirgv said:
Don't know how YOU know, but yes, I use 3/8 poly - red with yellow tracer.
I don't even remember typing that info, let alone, how in the world you could REMEMBER I said it!!! Must be a major difference in age :shock: :D
Google Earth. I see your every move. ;-) You just closed the curtains didn't you. :lol: :lol:
But I can still see your first post on the screen.
If I remember rightly dun's link used a knot to finish the end of the lead instead of crimping and used a twine wrap on the whip(?) end. When I first saw the instructions I was inclined to believe it was like "they used to do it". It ain't no thing, I'll get it fingered out. Sorry if I caused alarm, pleeze don't hollar at me.
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2n9lirgv said:
Well, here's some instructions, but the pics didn't show up.
See if it makes sense to you.
You will need 12' of 3/8" rope.
These plans will make a nice poly halter.

Latest posts