Rookie Training

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I can't help but notice that there are a lot of experienced folks from Middle Tennessee that frequent this board. Do any of you folks frequent the sale barns and if so, if it is in my area, could we meet there on sale night so that I can pick your brains on what you look for, terminology in the business and the tricks of the trade? I have only a few head and limited space to run cows so I am basically a hobbiest. I do seem to have an insatiable appetite for knowledge of cattle. I need an experienced cow man willing to let me sit beside him at the sale and have him chat me through what to look for in a cow, bull or steer. I am not looking to be a competitor at the sale as I rarely buy anything there but it is a good place to go be close to cattle and to learn things. If anyone is willing let me know. I live in Coffee County SE of Nashville about 65 miles. Thanks

Hoss, I live about 25 miles north of you. Don't know that I could be that helpful to you but you have a good sale barn there in your county. Just go down to the barn on sale night, there will be plenty of good folks to help you. Stay away from the pin hookers. They won't help you. But we could go to the sale sometime if you want and I will help if I can.

Hoss you sound like an intelligent young rancher on the road to success, in finding a mentor. Takes a pretty savy Cowman to buy from the salebarn and not get burn't.

Hoss, Just send me a PM when you are going. I'd be glad to meet you and try and help you out. I'm no Expert. You can usually find some of the older Cattlemen at the sales , and younger too, that will be happy to help you.We've made a lot of friends and contacts at the sales, over the years. I have a lot of respect for the older fellers, and they can sure pick the good from the bad.And trust me, they get real flattered when you talk to them and ask them for their insight. They are flat out great Mentors.

I usually visit the sale in Woodbury on Monday or Friday nights and sometimes when work schedule allows in Manchester on Tuesdays at 1 o'clock. Are these some sales that you all visit?

Thanks,
HOSS

Yes, sale barns are a great place to find someone who has cattle for sale by private treaty. Just have a seat next to some ol' guy who looks friendly enough, offer to buy him a soda or cup of coffee just before the sale starts (since you're getting yourself one anyway ;-) )and kinda start up a conversation with him. I've picked many a cattle mans brain by asking him why that particular cow went so cheap, or what makes that cow so expensive. You'll find that 99.99% of these guys are very humble and very willing to help beginners as long as you dont go in there bragging about how good your cows are and are willing to admit you're a beginner and willing to accept any and all advice he can offer.
So go grab a seat, keep your hands in your pockets and your head still, and sit back enjoy the show!

Hoss, I'll be at the sale Monday night. How will I know you? I'll sit in the top row under the windows on the right. I look forward to meeting you.

bwranch":3ibws4pl said:
If some guy sits down next to me with his hands in his pockets and wants to buy me something I'm leaving.

What kind of joints you visiting nowadays? Maybe you should be more aware of the people around you. Personally, I've never had a problem with anyone at a salebarn.

Be careful at salebarn purchases!!! Even if they are good honest cattle there are many germs at the barn which can indanger your purchases and your herd at home.

Rod":3eirdddc said:
Be careful at salebarn purchases!!! Even if they are good honest cattle there are many germs at the barn which can indanger your purchases and your herd at home.

i keep reading this on these boards and it keeps reminding me how lucky ive been all my life

ctlbaron":2nprquuz said:
Hoss, I'll be at the sale Monday night. How will I know you? I'll sit in the top row under the windows on the right. I look forward to meeting you.

ctlbaron, I'll come sit up where you are at. I am a big fellar with short hair, mustache about 35 yrs old but look younger. I am usually with my dad who is about 63. I usually were jeans and a polo shirt and carry a cell phone clipped to my right front pocket. I look forward to seeing you also. I apologize for not replying earlier. I have been in Chicago on business the last two days.

brokenmouth":381lzgou said:
Rod":381lzgou said:

i keep reading this on these boards and it keeps reminding me how lucky ive been all my life

I was just thinking the same thing!

Latest posts