roofing question.

Help Support CattleToday:

the insurance is paying for the damage done to your property and what it cost to repair it..in essence to get your property back to it's original value...you should take the check for what the claim adjuster said the damage iss worth...whether you fix the property or not is not a question...your property is worth less if you do not do the repair..at some point you will spend the full amount, ie. your labor hauling off shingles, or in simply living in a house that is valued less...it is incumbent on the insurance company to pay the claim adjuster's amount...say you don't repair the roof and your house gets rain inside...the insurance company will not be liable for that damage...it benefits the insurance company to do due diligence in correcting the matter..

A few weeks ago someone backed into my truck in a parking lot. They gave me their insurance companies number and I filed a claim. They asked me to go get 3 quotes on fixing the truck. They cut me a check for the mid-priced quote. I asked them if I was obligated to take it to the shop who's quote amount they paid on. They said no. I could take it anywhere I wanted or not fix the truk and pocket the money. It was up to me. Since all three shops I got quotes from where reputable and recommended for their quality I went to the lowest quote shop and had some additional work (non related to claim) done on my tailgate for the same sum as the mid-priced quote that I was paid for. The insurance company said they didn't care what I did so I felt like I could take the liberty. I would inquire with the insurance company. Most that cut checks to you directly don't care. Once that check is cut they wash their hands of any liability. They like it that way......if they have to pay the vendor directly then they have to make sure that you are happy with the work before cutting the check. Disputes can drag out for a long time. If they cut the check directly to you then you are responsible to make sure the work is done to your satisfaction.

Txwalt":1hr9bziz said:
Insurance is to compensate you for damage. Wether I fix that damage or not is my business.
Walt

I see both sides of this equation, however in my opinion, Walt made the correct statement (as listed above).

I had a house burn a few years ago and the insurance company ruled it a total loss and paid the insured value. Since it was a "total loss", that means I should have destroyed it and got rid of it. Their version of a total loss and my version was two different things. Sure, it was not liveable, but with a few sheets of plywood and a couple of days cleanup work, it makes a nice storage building.

The insurance adjuster is going to cut you a check to settle the claim. What you do with it is up to you....

Spoke with a guy from the claims department this morning (I wrote his name down just in case). I explained the deal to him. Sounds like everthing is good. He said it is my house I could do whatever I wanted. Now I just have to figure out the best way to get this new roof on. I still might remove the shingles. Maybe a new metal roof would be better.

He said the second check will be cut when I cmp the work and submit my reciepts. So far between the truck and the house State Farm has been great.

Walt

Had a crack in the cement pad under my house that busted the water line.I called the insurance company and they came out and estimated the damage and it came to $3200.I told the adjuster that I was going to run new lines through the walls and the ceiling and the estimate I had from my plumber was $950.He told me to fix it anyway I wanted to but he had to cut me a check on his estimate. He also told me when the repair was done he would re-check for leaks and if there was none he would still insure it.

Cal

Walt I asked my wife about your ? she was an insurance adjuster for over 12 yrs with State Farm and about 8 yr with another company

She said they will pay you for the damages incurred and then when they do an inspection the portions that they paid for that did not get replaced they will make notes on your file about them and the next time you have a claim they will not pay damages for the parts that were not replaced originally unless you can provide receipts that you replaced them at a later date

Hope this helps

I have recently rreplaced my roof, because of wind damage. The adjuster didn't care who did the work,however he said that if I didn't take the shingles off this time,and if I had another claim later on, they would not pay again to do it. My son is in managment for GMAC insurance and will tell you that you pay for the insurance and should get all they will allow. They aren't going to give rewards for saving them money. Many times he has wanted a client to ask for something they are allowed, but can't tell them they are entitled to it. You will be paid once for the damages, and probably can't trick them later with another claim. In my business I have dealt with a lot of insurance companies, and this is the way it works. gs

plumber_greg":1linfb41 said:
I have recently rreplaced my roof, because of wind damage. The adjuster didn't care who did the work,however he said that if I didn't take the shingles off this time,and if I had another claim later on, they would not pay again to do it. My son is in managment for GMAC insurance and will tell you that you pay for the insurance and should get all they will allow. They aren't going to give rewards for saving them money. Many times he has wanted a client to ask for something they are allowed, but can't tell them they are entitled to it. You will be paid once for the damages, and probably can't trick them later with another claim. In my business I have dealt with a lot of insurance companies, and this is the way it works. gs

If you are entitled to it, why do your rates go up after a claim?

Bear

I talked to a very old and wise insurance adjustor about this very thing....Here is what he said..... You might wish to cut cornors but you better cancel coverage with your company.....because they paid you to replace your roof or to a least fix to the standard it was before your claim... At a later date you have a claim and they inspect your roof and found you did not restore your roof to the specs that they paid for.......you have voided your contract with them..................Which means boys and girls.......they walk on your new claim......no matter what damage has been done to your home............So, you might want to rethink that penny pinching on your claim......come on folks we are talking about insurance companies......with plenty of lawyers.....u really think your gonna get away with a fast one

Walt,

First off, I would never get my legal advice from an insurance company who has profit as a motive in anything they say or do. I'm not an attorney but play one on TV. :tiphat:

I believe we pay insurance to cover the cost of the damage caused by an accident. They accepted the estimate/s and agreed that would be the cost of fixing it, minus the deductible. Exactly what the contract was for. I don't believe we have to fix it or hire someone to do so. But we also can't collect on it twice or any additional damage caused by not fixing it properly in the first place.

The check is yours, you paid for it. :banana:

Walt,

I didn't read through every post due to lack of time but I'll give you my opinion. If you are going to be out your deductible anyway I would not apply new shingles over old shingles, ever. I've seen too many issues with leaks when this is done plus since the old shingles are not smooth/flat it does not provide the best substrate for the new shingles. If you are going with metal then it should be okay to leave the old shingles.

The way it usually works is they will pay you what you spend minus your deductible, period. They probably withheld a certain percentage for depreciation and once repairs are completed you will have to show receipts or invoices to prove how much you spent to recover the depreciation. If it were me I would use a reputable roofer to make sure it was done properly.

Yes, I am an insurance adjuster ;-)

I agree with what gimpyrancher said. Thanks for the advice Ralphy. I don't think I'll be putting asphalt shingles over the existing ones. I'm still on the fence with the metal roof. The roof isn't leaking currently but I don't want to put this off all summer. Thanks for all the helpful posts.

Walt

Latest posts