Roofers

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
My hats off to all roofers... That is one job I never want to have... :tiphat: I recently put on some asphalt shingles on a roof to my calf building which was small but yet a major pain in the A..

A short, and hopefully no too boring story. In 1973, I had a contracting business in Indiana. One winter we had a pretty bad storm and couldn't get around much. We lost better than a week of work time. In order to make the time up, we were roofing a new house we were building on a bright January day. It was so cold, that if you missed the nail, the asphalt shingle would shatter. One of my guys was cutting the plywood straight on the edges and ran a circular saw right across his fingers. Luckily for him, he only nipped the end off of two fingers. I came down from the roof that day and vowed that after that house was done, I would never be cold again. I packed up everything I owned and moved to Florida and I have never gone back.

melking":1fvoziap said:
I came down from the roof that day and vowed that after that house was done, I would never be cold again. I packed up everything I owned and moved to Florida and I have never gone back.
After a year in Iceland I made the same vow. For the past 45 years I;ve done well at keeping it but Ol Ma Nature sometimes throws a curve

skyhightree1":2yom0h74 said:
My hats off to all roofers... That is one job I never want to have... :tiphat: I recently put on some asphalt shingles on a roof to my calf building which was small but yet a major pain in the A..

aw come on ! It aint that hard of work.

I'm so bright that I put a new asphalt shingle roof on my house by myself and did the whole thing crawling up and down a ladder one bundle at a time and then turned around and used the money that I saved on a forklift for the bees a week after the roof was done. :bang:
I must not have learned my lesson that time as the forklift is long gone and I'm thinking about doing our new house this next summer.

M5farm":1umozgt7 said:
skyhightree1":1umozgt7 said:

aw come on ! It aint that hard of work

:bs: if it aint.. :lol: :lol: Almost as fun as doing concrete work in the hot summer sun.

I've roofed and sell roofing everyday. It is hard work but an IQ test is not required. I actually enjoy shingle work it can be very therapeutic IMO.

M5farm":p5fl1k7r said:
skyhightree1":p5fl1k7r said:

:lol2: Get your head checked

Limomike":p5fl1k7r said:
M5farm":p5fl1k7r said:
skyhightree1":p5fl1k7r said:

aw come on ! It aint that hard of work

:bs: if it aint.. :lol: :lol: Almost as fun as doing concrete work in the hot summer sun.

I do concrete well I watch it being done thats pretty hard work too in the sun :D

melking":13ox39u3 said:
A short, and hopefully no too boring story. In 1973, I had a contracting business in Indiana. One winter we had a pretty bad storm and couldn't get around much. We lost better than a week of work time. In order to make the time up, we were roofing a new house we were building on a bright January day. It was so cold, that if you missed the nail, the asphalt shingle would shatter. One of my guys was cutting the plywood straight on the edges and ran a circular saw right across his fingers. Luckily for him, he only nipped the end off of two fingers. I came down from the roof that day and vowed that after that house was done, I would never be cold again. I packed up everything I owned and moved to Florida and I have never gone back.

LOL come on now don't you want to go back for just a year

cow pollinater":2i05vs3e said:
I'm so bright that I put a new asphalt shingle roof on my house by myself and did the whole thing crawling up and down a ladder one bundle at a time and then turned around and used the money that I saved on a forklift for the bees a week after the roof was done. :bang:
I must not have learned my lesson that time as the forklift is long gone and I'm thinking about doing our new house this next summer.

I have carried many a bundle up a ladder. When our local lumber company got a boom truck, we thought we died and went to heaven. Everything in those days was hammer and nails. I had a 5 man crew that could lay down 20+ squares a day.

My granddad starting me out at about 8 yoa whenever he got a job laying them. Mostly would use those T-locks but later he went to the 3-tab. I would carry as many as could up to him, which was about 4 or five initially. As the summer went on the amount progressed a little. Every summer would increase until I was able to carry a whole bundle. When I was 15 I decided I had enough of that crap and stopped going to stay with them. The summer I was 16 dad decided to build a house out there, so guess where I ended up still shaggin' shingles?

Dogs and Cows":2xiybmyo said:
dun":2xiybmyo said:
melking":2xiybmyo said:
I came down from the roof that day and vowed that after that house was done, I would never be cold again. I packed up everything I owned and moved to Florida and I have never gone back.
After a year in Iceland I made the same vow. For the past 45 years I;ve done well at keeping it but Ol Ma Nature sometimes throws a curve

Hey Dun...if you don't mind me asking, what were you doing in Iceland? It is one place I would love to visit.

Tim
I was stationed there and mostly what I was doing was drinking my brains out. But it really is (was) and intersting country. Beauty in a strange way and I really got along well with the locals.

M5farm":2jwr697z said:
skyhightree1":2jwr697z said:

Roofing is just one more of those things that look just so dam easy when you're watching someone else do it that knows what they're doing....Put a hammer or nail gun in my hand and I would ruin the entire house.

TexasBred":kkzogfw2 said:
Roofing is just one more of those things that look just so dam easy when you're watching someone else do it that knows what they're doing....Put a hammer or nail gun in my hand and I would ruin the entire house.
Nail size matters. The house I did kind of resembles an inside out porcupine if you crawl up in the attic. :oops:

My kids and I shingled my little house back home. Kids were 5,6 & 7.. I drove the old truck loaded with shingles up beside the house.. The 5 year old handed the shingles up to the 6 year old on the truck roof.. He handed them to the 7 year old on the roof who brought them to me. Not fast or pretty,but the roof never leaked..

I did a few weeks of 'professional' roofing... flat graveled roofs that had to get cleaned off.. d@mn that's a lot of weight up there.. Then I also carried shingles, but not being a husky guy that darned well killed me in a hurry.
I also learned why most roofers I've met are alcoholics and coke addicts... I quit before I got there!

Still do roofing around the farm when needed, mostly metal though.

I've done my share of concrete pouring.. have about a 4 cu ft mixer, and mixed 3 yards in a day,.. sure busted my arse that day. Before we had that mixer we had a smaller one, and it was 105F in the shade that week while we were pouring the footings for a 30x100' greenhouse... about as much water went on top of me as into the mixer, and about as much cider into me!

Latest posts