Rome plow

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm on Houston Black Clay. Hard as a rock dry and goo when wet. You have to work it when momma nature is ready. Clay requires a rolling cutter to prevent gumups. The offset disc is a perfect roller for clay soils. The more weight you put on it the better it cuts and better it sucks up the HP required to pull it (obviously).

I remember my first experience was in soft, well covered in vegetation, clay and was my first experience with a newly purchased, used, Krone offset (I think was the name), big heavy looking sucker. Don't remember the width nor disc size (10' with 24" discs, 9" spaced, maybe) nor if it had extra weight (probably not due to it's structure) on it but the 100 PTO hp JD 4230, full set of front and rear wheel weights, 18.4/38 new F1s, said "no way will I pull that" the first time I dropped it with the tires in full up position thinking I was fixin to do some plowin. Took awhile and several passes to get where I wanted to be.

I've got a Rome harrow, and it does well in old and new ground. It'll turn up dirt in a gallberry thicket.