Romagnola's

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I bought a Romagnola Bull about 3 years ago and have been very happy with what he has produced. The calf's grow quite well and when processed the meat if very tender. The Bull himself is gentle and easy to work with. Why has this breed not caught on? I see no questions on this board about them. They have been here in the States since 1970 so I would think they are not going to catch on. Any opinons/experiance appreciated!

[email protected]

It may be a marketing problem or because they got caught in the black is beautiful thing. The ones I've seen have all been a whole lot bigger animals then I can use. There are a number of other breeds that fall into the sme niche, Gascone, Pinzgaur, Tarantaise, Pedmontese, etc. There is probably nothing wrong with them, they just haven't had the marketing savvy behind them and there are so many other breeds that probably fit nearly the same position. But, they're not black. Senepol is the one that interests me, but the last question I saw about them didn't even get any responses.

dunmovin farms

> I bought a Romagnola Bull about 3
> years ago and have been very happy
> with what he has produced. The
> calf's grow quite well and when
> processed the meat if very tender.
> The Bull himself is gentle and
> easy to work with. Why has this
> breed not caught on? I see no
> questions on this board about
> them. They have been here in the
> States since 1970 so I would think
> they are not going to catch on.
> Any opinons/experiance
> appreciated!

I think you're right, there are so many breeds similar to the Romagnola breed. A small breed just has a hard time getting noticed. Plus there's the white issue. It seems that buyers categorize cattle: Black = Angus, spots = Longhorn, white = Charloais and bid on them accordingly. The Kerr Center for Sustainable Agriculture (or something like that) has been researching Senepol cattle for several years. You might look for a web site and see if there's any info about their studies. There have been articles in Cattle Today about their research, too. Might be in the archives. Several years ago the manager of a big ranch in Florida was really high on them and predicted they would replace Brahman. That hasn't happended..yet. If a cattleman has something that works, it's hard to get them to change. Sometimes it's hard to get them to change even if it's not working!

[email protected]

Latest posts