Romagnola Weaning Weights

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie":39p4lk6k said:
MikeC":39p4lk6k said:
But I disagree with the "funny" part.

Its stone age funny :) ;-)

Tell me are you headed out to buy some of these Romagnola cattle

Sorry, but I wasn't reincarnated from the "Stone Ages"?

If I thought those Roma bulls would help my commercial cattle I might, but I am already getting maximum heterosis and excellent carcass merit from breeding my brangus to the Chars.

If I had some twerpy little "black butterballs" I might give it a try though. ;-)

MikeC":14galzoi said:
frenchie":14galzoi said:
MikeC":14galzoi said:
But I disagree with the "funny" part.

Its stone age funny :) ;-)

Tell me are you headed out to buy some of these Romagnola cattle

Sorry, but I wasn't reincarnated from the "Stone Ages"?

If I thought those Roma bulls would help my commercial cattle I might, but I am already getting maximum heterosis and excellent carcass merit from breeding my brangus to the Chars.

If I had some twerpy little "black butterballs" I might give it a try though. ;-)

I think you need to really try some Mike C.... After all you were so impressed with them right.

dun":2mh60n2h said:
MikeC":2mh60n2h said:
A FIRST HAND LOOK AT ROMAGNOLA BULLS

I'm waiting to hear how well the graded before I jump on the bandwagon

dun

I don't blame you one bit, dun. Your post is wise and well thought out as always.

But I am not trying to create a "bandwagon" here either. I was simply giving credit where credit is due and have learned something about human nature in the process.

MikeC":1nw8d7ug said:
dun":1nw8d7ug said:
MikeC":1nw8d7ug said:

dun

I don't blame you one bit, dun. Your post is wise and well thought out as always.

But I am not trying to create a "bandwagon" here either. I was simply giving credit where credit is due and have learned something about human nature in the process.

I've taslked to rom breeders at farm fest a couople of times, they all tout how good the meat is but none of them actually have numbers, either Y or G, just the usual "my customers say it's the best they've ever eaten"

dun

dun":3ffjobdb said:
MikeC":3ffjobdb said:
dun":3ffjobdb said:
MikeC":3ffjobdb said:

dun

I've taslked to rom breeders at farm fest a couople of times, they all tout how good the meat is but none of them actually have numbers, either Y or G, just the usual "my customers say it's the best they've ever eaten"

dun

Alot of breeders regardless of breed say that ...some have the numbers to back it up others don.t.

I thinks its more what fits your goals and handles your enviroment.

I'll jump in the fray with my 2cents worth. (whodathunkit) You can have y1 prime cattle but unless you own them when they put a hook in their hock it doesn't make a penny. Most cattle with a more typical look and color will bring more money at the sale barn. If you are feeding a pen of them then they may be the ticket but if you're taking them a goosneck load at a time to the sale barn it'll be an uphill battle.

frenchie":2fdv8atj said:
Alot of breeders regardless of breed say that ...some have the numbers to back it up others don.t.

That was the point, even LH breeders rave about their meat. I'm sure if someone raised Cape Buffallo for beef they'ld find someone that thought it was great.

dun

ollie'":3vk82ql0 said:
I'll jump in the fray with my 2cents worth. (whodathunkit) You can have y1 prime cattle but unless you own them when they put a hook in their hock it doesn't make a penny. Most cattle with a more typical look and color will bring more money at the sale barn. If you are feeding a pen of them then they may be the ticket but if you're taking them a goosneck load at a time to the sale barn it'll be an uphill battle.

Ollie, This is exactly what I was referring to when I was talking about an inherent atmosphere built in the cattle business that discriminates against others based on lack of knowledge.

The buyers I know at the sale barn love it when something different comes in and they can get them cheap. I have heard them laughing about it on more than one occasion.

For someone to say, " I don't know anyone who would want them", is simply nauseous.

MikeC":s33ld84a said:
ollie'":s33ld84a said:

Ollie, This is exactly what I was referring to when I was talking about an inherent atmosphere built in the cattle business that discriminates against others based on lack of knowledge..

Thats the breeds fault as much as anyones..Get together put some animals on feed and get some numbers.

The buyers I know at the sale barn love it when something different comes in and they can get them cheap. I have heard them laughing about it on more than one occasion. ..

Thats not a new thing Mike

For someone to say, " I don't know anyone who would want them", is simply nauseous.

Lloyd gave his honest opinon....He likely did not know anyone , that would want to feed these calves.

MikeC":2feqodxz said:
ollie'":2feqodxz said:

Ollie, This is exactly what I was referring to when I was talking about an inherent atmosphere built in the cattle business that discriminates against others based on lack of knowledge.

The buyers I know at the sale barn love it when something different comes in and they can get them cheap. I have heard them laughing about it on more than one occasion.

While I agree in part with the idea Mike, I think you are giving buyers too much credit. The order buyers I know couldn't pick a good one out of 2. They have an order for 100 head of 8 weight red steers @ 1.10 for example . They fill the order with the calves they can buy that look the most uniform and has less fill. They could care less about length of spine, capacity, and to some extent thickness. I know this isn't probably the norm but it is the way it is here. Point is that they also may have an order for cheaper pens of cattle say 8weight steers at 1.00 and take anything healthy.

Frankie":2cppmou7 said:
I never said they were inferior, nor did LA. I just gave you a link to a person who actually had hands on experience with them and wasn't trying to promote them. When a breed doesn't grow in numbers or is discounted at the sale barn, there's usually a good reason.
Thanks Frankie. You saved me a lot of typing.

I saw some impressive calves out of Africana, Tuli and Nguni cows in the South African 'Farmers weekly". The calves were weaned into feedlot as they had too high a growth rate to grow out on the local grazing. The carcasses graded out at top grades and impressive weights,there was no mention of quality as in marbling, succulence, etc but the damlines plus heterosis would have assured a good quality in these crosses. I would certainly like to hear more about the breed in general!

Dun, Cape buffalo are not bad if young enough and matured before putting into the freezer! It is the old trophy bulls that are inedible,I wouln't like to try farming them though.

I like the little "Twerpy black butterballs" the funny thing is, that those little butterballs seem to do alot better than say a big dumb yellow brute and the butterballs always bring more than a goofy eared thing. I also like the idea of promoting a breed you won't use yourself. I guess that just makes sense. I believe that if these Romys are so great they can withstand a little prodding. I haven't said anything bad about them. I remember when Chi's were the big deal and Piedmontese all seemed to be a flash in the pan. I would look at Romys if i could find a quality supplier, adequate data, moderate frame size and then i would compare them with other breeds to see if they were the best fit for my operation.

MikeC":1qpqn1fl said:
la4angus":1qpqn1fl said:
Beef11":1qpqn1fl said:
It seems the italian cattle are having a hard time maintaning popularity. If a guy did raise Romys it seems that he would get stuck with the negative stigma attached to Piedmontese and Chianina.
I don't know anyone that would want them.

"stig·ma ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stgm)
n. pl. stig·ma·ta (stg-mät, -mt, stgm-) or stig·mas

1. A mark or token of infamy, disgrace, or reproach"

The two above preceding statements are indicative of many on this board and in the world of cattle. Maybe even including me! For a cattleman (who is actually in the beef business) to allude to the fact that another breed of cattle might be "stigmatized" only because of their loyalty to his own breed has huge repercussions on the incomes of others who are in the beef business, but are boycotted by others only because of "perceptions" by the ignorant.

LaAngus; I read your posts fervently because I respect your knowledge, wit, and intelligence of the cattle business. But I promise you this........if you know anyone........anyone at all who sells cattle by the pound.............you know someone who would want the aforementioned calves.

Yes, the gentleman who owns these calves will probably take a hit when he sells them. But not because they are not good calves. He will take a hit because it is built in the system that some breeds "CAN and WILL" be discriminated against simply because of the ignorance of others and the ability to do so.

I have persuaded the man who owns these calves to take any ones he will not use in his herd to; send them to the feedlot and sell on the grid in order to bypass any buyers who will take advantage of him when given the opportunity.

I'll get off my soapbox and relegate myself to the chores before me in order to attempt the impossible and persuade others that there is a place for more than one breed of cattle in this world.

"I don't know anyone who would want them"..............

What a ridiculous and "Holier than Thou" statement from someone who............ HASN'T EVEN SEEN THEM!

My humblest regards
Thanks MikeC, good post. I don't have first hand knowledge of or experience with the Romagnolas but as a Piedmontese breeder I appreciate your post none the less. Ignorance is not bliss.

I try to stay out of the "War between the Breeds," which I find an odd thing to argue over, but anyway, I do raise Angus because the buyer wants it. It reminds me of how the Quarter Horse had to be a sorrel with white on it's face or you could forget about taking it to a show and doing much with it. Palimino's, buckskins, duns, bays etc... could count on placing behind a sorrel. If the buyer wanted Poison Ivy, I would raise that too. But, I do have a Piedmontese in the freezer, and I can't say that I have had anything that tasted better. I might of had something that tasted as good, but I have no idea what it was for sure. I do know that the beef I have in the freezer, has little fat, and is very, very, tender and has a really good rich taste. So no complaints here. But, having said that, I cannot prove for sure that I have ever eaten Angus beef before other than what they advertise. Sorry to say that I have not got around to putting one in the freezer yet. But when I run out of the Piedmontese, then I will. When I put one in the freezer, then I will be able to compare. When I see the full, rounded hips and shoulders on the Piedmontese cattle down the road, I cannot but help wish that all of the Angus cattle I raise, could have such a body. It is amazing to me how such a tiny calf can become such a sculpture.

Latest posts