Romagnola breed info

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have only recently heard of Romagnola cattle and most people that cross them with Angus are very happy with their birth weights and weaning weight. Is this just bias on their part or do Romagnola really have a trait for low birth weights and high weight gain. I have never even seen one of these Romagnola cattle, but my bull has got to go and thought this was worth looking into. His calves are low birth weight, but just don't put on the weight fast enough.
I currently have commercial Brangus but have access to plenty of commercial Angus, which like I said earlier, has made the ones I have talked with very happy.
Any comments on this greatly appreciated, Including info on picking a better Brangus bull next time, if that is the direction you suggest I go.

If we had any idea of what part of the US of A that you are in maybe someone could reccomend a Brangus Breeder in your area that would have top quality Brangus cattle.

Shataken":3rxh7xwp said:
I have only recently heard of Romagnola cattle and most people that cross them with Angus are very happy with their birth weights and weaning weight. Is this just bias on their part or do Romagnola really have a trait for low birth weights and high weight gain. I have never even seen one of these Romagnola cattle, but my bull has got to go and thought this was worth looking into. His calves are low birth weight, but just don't put on the weight fast enough.
I currently have commercial Brangus but have access to plenty of commercial Angus, which like I said earlier, has made the ones I have talked with very happy.
Any comments on this greatly appreciated, Including info on picking a better Brangus bull next time, if that is the direction you suggest I go.

If you live in the Southeast you might check with Cow Creek Ranch in Aliceville, AL for a good Brangus bull or Salacoa Valley in Fairmount, GA or Char-No Farm in Williamson, GA or Rocky Ridge Ranch in Cookeville, TN or Chair Brand in Crystil Spings, MS or Cold Water Cattle Co. in Holly Spring, MS or The Branch Ranch in Mansfield, LA or if you live in the Southwest near Texas try Stinener Ranch in Bastrop, TX, Camp Cooly Ranch in Franklin, TX ( They just had a sale last Saturday) or Mound Creek Ranches in Leona, TX or if you live near Kansas check with Suhn Cattle Co in Eureka, KS to name a few. You might also contact the International Brangus Breeders Association (210-696-4343) to get a listing of the breeders.
Good luck,

Thanks for the info. I am located in N.E. Alabama, so some of the above breeders are not very far at all.

Thanks

Shataken":1ffg2ze6 said:
Thanks for the info. I am located in N.E. Alabama, so some of the above breeders are not very far at all.

Thanks
Romagnola cross steers will be better than Brangus cross steers, check with the people at Cherokee Hills Ranch located at the Tennessee and Kentucky border, http://www.cherokeehills.com, and they will be glad to help you.
Romagnola have low birth weights and exceptional weaning weights, you should check the breed.

Got curious about this breed, looked like it has bos indicus in it and sure enough it does.

http://americanromagnola.com/history.html

Hitchhiker.jpg

Alex deLaGarza

Good Looking Bull.
Is that one of your bulls or your brothers or a family deal.

A.delGarza, I suppose with all the many head of cattle you and your brothers have, that you all have lots of Herd Sires?

CopeMan":3vjnxav9 said:
A.delaGarza, I suppose with all the many head of cattle you and your brothers have, that you all have lots of Herd Sires?
We use one Bull for every 20 Cows. The Bulls that we have in co-op and we call herd sires are the bulls that we use in our A.I. programs as well as in our E.T. programs, we also sell semen of some of these Bulls, that are usually the ones that have won prizes and pendants. We also have registered cattle that come from regular Bull-Cow mount and the outstanding ones are frequently monitored till they are 14 months old and than we decide what we keep and what we are going sell.

Great looking bull. Nice profile and nice built. You got a smart brother. He looked for quality, not color. Romagnola cattle always fool me a bit....they look so similar to Chianina...the big difference is size. Have you seen/heard any of his calves? How are they? Are they looking like their daddy? Again nice bull!

Oregonian":2vivzv8q said:
Great looking bull. Nice profile and nice built. You got a smart brother. He looked for quality, not color. Romagnola cattle always fool me a bit....they look so similar to Chianina...the big difference is size. Have you seen/heard any of his calves? How are they? Are they looking like their daddy? Again nice bull!

His sons are great looking and you are right, we don't raise color we raise quality and we can prove it.

that bull there looks somthing like a marky bull are they from the same area. would a romagnola cross well with a braunvieh.

trav":cru3mvkz said:
that bull there looks somthing like a marky bull are they from the same area. would a romagnola cross well with a braunvieh.
Even we have a small herd of Braunvieh cattle and Braunvieh X Brahman cows we had never cross them to Romagnolas.

Marchigiana cattle was influenced with Romagnola and Chianina blood in the 1900's and by the 30's they stop the crossbreeding and began improving the breed through structure selection.

Latest posts