Rolling hay for someone else.

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
I/ve got a neighbor who asked to borrow our baler. I told her I don't lend it out but could come roll it with my tractor. If she supplies diesel and string, what is a fair share of the hay I should get? I'm wanting to say 1 out of every 3 or 4 rolls. Am I way off?

For just rolling, here they get 14 bucks or more. If they cut, rake and roll. At least 20 bucks per roll.

On shares, you put it up for 2 of 3.

I won't ask for diesel or string but I'd gladly do it for 1 out of 4 bales.

If it were my neighbor and their baler was broke or something I'd do it for nothing because mine will break to and I know he would bale mine in return.

I don't like loaning stuff either and will only do that for very few people. Like maybe 1.

ClinchValley":1kneed1u said:
I/ve got a neighbor who asked to borrow our baler. I told her I don't lend it out but could come roll it with my tractor. If she supplies diesel and string, what is a fair share of the hay I should get? I'm wanting to say 1 out of every 3 or 4 rolls. Am I way off?

I won't let out any of my equipment either. Baled some heavy hay for a friend (I supplied fuel and net) for 10.00 a bale. It was only 30 bales so I got 300 for a few hours.

These folks are city people. Bought the farm and bought a herd of highlanders. Their illegal helper had to flee the country. Now its growing up. That's the backstory. We don't really get along too well. I'm hoping this could help our relationship.

Just found out they don't know how to cut or rake. They own a nice disc mower and a v rake. Just asked me to show their SIL how to mow and rake. He has no tractor use in his history. I'm thinking he would tear it all up to be honest.

Should I offer to cut and rake with her equipment. Then roll with my baler?

How would you all handle this situation? We are short on hay, and really needing some more to put back.

I'm headed up to talk to them in a few minutes. Wanted to know what was reasonable to ask for.

ClinchValley":9maenb5j said:
These folks are city people. Bought the farm and bought a herd of highlanders. Their illegal helper had to flee the country. Now its growing up. That's the backstory. We don't really get along too well. I'm hoping this could help our relationship.

Just found out they don't know how to cut or rake. They own a nice disc mower and a v rake. Just asked me to show their SIL how to mow and rake. He has no tractor use in his history. I'm thinking he would tear it all up to be honest.

Should I offer to cut and rake with her equipment. Then roll with my baler?

How would you all handle this situation? We are short on hay, and really needing some more to put back.

I'm headed up to talk to them in a few minutes. Wanted to know what was reasonable to ask for.
I would use there equipment and my baler and ask half of the hay. If you can teach the SIL to mow and rake properly I would teach him then bale it and ask 1 in 3

Jogeephus":37grqs5z said:

If it were my neighbor and their baler was broke or something I'd do it for nothing because mine will break to and I know he would bale mine in return.

I don't like loaning stuff either and will only do that for very few people. Like maybe 1.

First year I baled for a neighbor (not a good friend) for free because his baler was broke. Funny thing is is his baler was then broke every year after that. That's when I started charging $10.00 per bale.

I really like the sound of that Millstream. If I were to use their mower and rake, then my baler. What would be a reasonable deal?

ClinchValley":341aja3i said:
I really like the sound of that Millstream. If I were to use their mower and rake, then my baler. What would be a reasonable deal?

Keep half is what i think would be fair in this scenario?

millstreaminn":i3ku7t06 said:
Jogeephus":i3ku7t06 said:

First year I baled for a neighbor (not a good friend) for free because his baler was broke. Funny thing is is his baler was then broke every year after that. That's when I started charging $10.00 per bale.

I think I know your neighbor. ;-) :lol:

Jogeephus":3n1c7l1p said:
millstreaminn":3n1c7l1p said:
Jogeephus":3n1c7l1p said:

I think I know your neighbor. ;-) :lol:

Is his last name Miller? I'm pretty sure we're kin.

Jogeephus":2j451cet said:

Didn't know you thought that much of me joe

Craig Miller":q6ydme81 said:
Is his last name Miller? I'm pretty sure we're kin.

Bunch of Miller's around here but they don't seem to be borrowers. One's home was hit by a tornado this spring and I think he may have felt uncomfortable with all the people who came to help him clean up his place. He and his neighbor got hammered.

ClinchValley":3ic7l29d said:

Don't know. Dun seemed to nail it. I absolutely hate to and almost never borrow or use my neighbors stuff. If your mowing with his discbine and tear it up or it just simply breaks, who pays the repair bill? If it's my stuff and I break it, I pay the bill.

Craig Miller":1egfqriy said:
Must be a different bunch of Miller's then

:lol2: :lol2:

I don't like borrowing and I don't like loaning. I used to load things more readily but a few years ago I loaned a tractor to someone and he put another guy on it and that fella broke the tractor in half! This brings up a major pet peeve of mine which is if I loan YOU something I think the least you can do is operate it yourself rather than putting some minion on it. This is similar to fishing rights or hunting rights. If I give YOU permission my permission doesn't extend to all your friends and relatives. I don't think I'm asking to much when I expect this to be implied but apparently I am.

ClinchValley":3ea075sf said:
If I'm using their disc mower on their hay, and it fails or hits a rock they failed to show me, is it me who is to fix it?

That's a tough one and one of the reasons I don't like using other people's stuff. Like a gate, if its closed when you get to it it needs to be closed after you pass through it. So if its working before you use it, it needs to be working when you finish using it.

That said, if it were me I'd prefer them to cut it themselves and me just bale it. If for some reason they can't do this and you are doing them a favor by cutting it I think a clear understanding of this rock question needs to be addressed and agreed upon before you start mowing.

Latest posts