rolling electric fence wire

Help Support CattleToday:

hopalong

Reaction score
Was pulling about a mile of electric fence out, and got tired of hand rolling, and got to thinking about a bunch of electric wire spools that were in the shop....
drilled a hole at the top of one flange, stuck in a carriage bolt put a piece of pipe thru the center hole and it ended up like a fishing reel. worked like a champ!!!!
Just need to refine it a bunch, gonna check with home depot about their empty spools :D

I have a 4 foot piece of 2 inch tube steel that goes onto the receiver hitch on the back of the truck. A vertical piece is welded out on the end. Two pieces of 1 1/2 rod run through the vertical piece of tube steel. Pipe surrounds the rod with a linch pin and washer on the ends.
You can down the fence row unrolling 4 rolls of barbed wire or smooth wire.

This thing will fit any item that will hold a receiver hitch including 4 wheelers. Just slide that 4 foot piece of tube steel in and pin it just like you would your stinger.

I mounted a small wooden spool to the swivel portion of an old ktchen chair, put a bolt with a piece of pvc pipe on it for a handle and strap it to the tailgate or 4wheeler rack...I also added a "brake" (bolt with flat piece of steel 1.5" X 3" with a wingnut on to tighten down) to control speed when re-stringing fence.

You can roll up a lot of hotwire fast by just backing into it with a bush hog. Amazingly quick rolling it up but painfully slow unrolling it again.

dun":1opkdj45 said:
You can roll up a lot of hotwire fast by just backing into it with a bush hog. Amazingly quick rolling it up but painfully slow unrolling it again.

Bushhogs are useful if your chain harrow is taking up too much space. It will ball it up into a nice tidy ball so it don't take up much room.

Hopalong, if you go by the power company they will give you some spools too.

dun":33hdl8fo said:

But you need a heck of a tractor. 20 years ago I was on someone else's place and spooled up what must have been a mile of old fence. Didn't know it was there until I saw brush moving in front of me. It choked down that little 90 horse Case.

Nothing like this ever happens in cool weather. Another reason to never brush hog in 110 degree heat.

I make spools out of old disk blades with a couple of blade spacers (off the disk) between the blades. Then I use a tractor with a belt drive. I pull off the belt drum and replace it with a peice of square rod that I made to bolt on to the belt drive. Slip the spool over the rod and clamp it on and your ready to go. You need two people with this system, one to control the wire to roll it on even and one you trust to sit on the tractor. This works great until you get to the last 30 yards of wire and you either have to slip the clutch or roll by hand. We put out around 3 miles of fence each winter to fence in hay and crop ground that is in a couple very flood prone bottom where using a normal fence on would be a waste of time . We can roll all the wire in a couple hours on a couple three spools. The spools can get real heavy fast and I have found it is alot better to have 2 or 3 spools then tring to lift one monster. I have rolled barb wire this way also but it takes some nerve for the man on the ground controling the wire. To unroll I have trailer I pull behind my ATV that I put the spools on and they just unwind as I drive. I have all my post and fencing stuff in the trailer and it works great.

I found a partial roll the same way with my bush hog. It took me lots of bad words a bolt cutter and a six pack to get mine unrolled.

Another way to roll it up is to slip a 2' length of hollow, but sturdy, cardboard tubing over your 3 point post hole digger. Pop a small diameter hole into the tubing and insert one end of the wire. Crank up the tractor on a low idle, turn on the pto. From about 2-3 feet away, you can guide the wire up and down the tubing to evenly load it while the auger turns. All of this assumes that the wire is not attached to anything. And safer if you have a partner to turn off the pto if need be.

Latest posts